• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

4th of July

FM William Burns

Ok you pyros..........please be careful this weekend and Monday and especially make sure those using legal fireworks are properly supervised and practice safe use.

BTW........I do oppose them for use by consumers......just because of the stupidity seen over the many years...and yes I know....that's why if you are using them....practice and follow the above.

That suggests that those using illegal fireworks need not be properly supervised, etc.

You will only take my fire crackers when you pry them from my cold dead hand.

Which may be found across the street by the curb.

Brudgers, play on words :) I have fond memories of my youth in south Florida and building those beer can cannons on the 4th. We had block contests and one year I won with Ballentine, Falstaff and pictured Hamms cans. Glad I still have all my fingers and as noted.....be safe.

Beach,

End of year and had to take some Comp time or loose it so I feel for you. I will be awaiting the money tune on the pager since it's typically good for 4-6 hrs. of OT.

Firecrackers upset the dog. We're less than 1/2 mile from the city park where the display is held and watch it with our neighbors.

My point is that it would be productive to teach people how to be safer with illegal fireworks.

brudgers said:
My point is that it would be productive to teach people how to be safer with illegal fireworks.
Do you have a picture of your hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
Do you have a picture of your hand?
It was a metaphor.

Obviously I have paws.

On the other hand, your post is exactly the problem.

It substitutes scary stories for education.

And ignores reality.

Sparklers don't cut it.

People will buy goes up and blows up.

It would be helpful to teach them how to use them more safely.

To put it another way.

How are you going to convince someone that a roman candle is scary when they were trained on a SAW?

Back in the seventies in Houston, we set off M-80's (powerful firecrackers) on the street under the streetlights, and the force of the explosion would cause the lights to blow out and reset. I didn't get away fast enough one time . . . cost 40 stitches up the side of my left foot.

Everybody have a great 4th, and count your blessings to live in the freedoms we enjoy in the US.

It substitutes scary stories for education. And ignores reality.
That's how we do it in this country, much like the war on drugs.

We have 7 cities in our fire district, with everything from zero tolerance to "do whatever you want". It keeps things interesting for sure.

brudgers said:
It was a metaphor. A funny joke too.

Obviously I have paws.

An architect that can't climb a ladder, that's too bad. Are you cross trained?

On the other hand, your post is exactly the problem.

Now that the epicenter is known, I'll be expecting changes.

It substitutes scary stories for education.

Experience is the best teacher. Jobsaver has an experience to share. See his post above.

And ignores reality.

It doesn't get any more real than pictures.

Sparklers don't cut it.

Toddlers like to be included too.

People will buy what goes up and blows up.

Bottle rocket fights!

It would be helpful to teach them how to use them more safely.

Oh I get it! Most experience is on what not to do. Where can I get a class on the proper way to blow up model cars and Barbie dolls?

To put it another way.

How are you going to convince someone that a roman candle is scary when they were trained on a SAW?
I really don't have a reply for this. You and I might be kindred spirits with a few twists. Twist of a cord, twist of a leash, there are similarities if you look for them.

M-80's were a good way to catch bait fish........throw one in the water and wait for them to float to the top.

Great State of AZ decided that Fireworks are legal now. Of course watching the fires in the state and NM on the news for the last couple of weeks, makes one wonder how many fires will be started this weekend because of fireworks.

No fireworks for me, even if they are the 'safe & sane' variety. CalFire has hoisted the burn ban and I will comply. I also had an aunt who was burned pretty badly by a sparkler when she was a kid. Someone got too close and her dress caught fire.

"Oh I get it! Most experience is on what not to do. Where can I get a class on the proper way to blow up model cars and Barbie dolls?"

Ice, I don't know but, those Estes rocket engines sure make a hot wheels car go fast! :devil Ah visions of a misspent youth......boy, it was fun!

High Desert said:
M-80's were a good way to catch bait fish........throw one in the water and wait for them to float to the top.
And to blow up toilets at the grade school..........Some of those boys were a little wild. :D

Alias said:
And to blow up toilets at the grade school..........Some of those boys were a little wild. :D
Yeah, seen a few of those, but I didn't have anything to do with it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

We took legal sparklers, lady fingers, and .22 bullets apart. We passed a magnet over the sparkler stuff, after grinding it with a rock. That left a more potent ingrediant,that was mixed with ground up black powder, gunpower and whatever lady fingers had in them. We put the mix in a.308 shell, inserted a lady finger fuse, crimped the shell with pliers. Then we took turns lighting the fuse and dropping the shell in a pipe, and dropping pebbles in the pipe.

The empty .22 shells filled with modeling clay and were put in a single shot rifle and plastic cars were used for target practice.

sadly.. M80's also do a tragic job on toads... especially when they are held down by vice grips... witnessed it first hand when I was a kid.

Happy, safe 4th to all!