• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

50 Most Common NEC Violations

BSSTG said:
Greetings all,I still here folks say that it's legal from time to time. (#14 switch legs on a 20 amp ckt) Heard it the other day as a matter of fact just in passing conversation. I've had to all it out a couple of times but it's a rare thing.

The one thing that I see day to day is that panels have holes in the panel or in the dead front cover not properly covered. Bear in mind I do a lot of occupancy type inspections so I look at a lot of existing stuff.

BS
14 AWG is allowed on 20 amp circuits except for receptacle outlets NEC 210.19(4) Other Loads

Gregg Harris said:
Now drop down to 240.4(D)(E) it sends you back under tap conductors.
Yes but the only branch circuit that you can tap is located in 210.19(A)(3) and (A)(4) for cooking appliances. As a general rule 240.4(D)(3) limits 14 AWG Copper conductors to being protected by a maximum overcurrent protective device of 15 amps.

You can't tap a branch circuit for switch legs for example and use 14 AWG on a 20 amp circuit for the travelers or switch legs which has been a common violation.

Chris