• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

507.2.3 Domestic cooking appliances used for commercial purposes.

WHEN STOVE TIPPED ON MINOR

CHILDREN

Anti-tip devices became a UL requirement June 3, 1991.

http://www.lawatyourfingertips.com/wp-content/uploads/casenotes/CNSTOVETIPPING.pdf

It would appear that there will be liability as against the Landlord/Insured for the stove which was installed without an anti-tipping device.

The Landlord will be held liable on a non-delegable duty theory, which will preclude any apportionment under Proposition 51 with the installer.

Installer may be held strictly liable for the sale and distribution of the stove and the maker of the stove will also be held strictly liable under a products

liability theory [failure to warn, and defective for failing to install anti-tipping device or making one available].

Finally, while the children are too young to be held comparatively negligent, one must consider a cross-complaint as against the minors’ parents for negligence in failing to

properly supervise the minors.

I would think that if it is part of the UL listing for the appliance it should be required to be installed

mark handler said:
anti-tip devices became a ul requirement june 3, 1991.Not required by any code agency that i am aware of
2006 irc m1901.2, g2408.1

2006 imc 917.1

TJacobs said:
2006 irc m1901.2, g2408.1 2006 imc 917.1
Help me out here?

International Mechanical Code 2006 (Fifth Printing)

917.1 Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances that are designed for permanent installation, including ranges, ovens, stoves, broilers, grills, fryers, griddles and barbecues, shall be listed, labeled and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Oil-burning stoves shall be tested in accordance with UL 896. Solid fuel-fired ovens shall be tested in accordance with UL 2162

IRC 2006

G2408.1 (305.1) General.

Equipment and appliances shall be installed as required by the terms of their approval, in accordance with the conditions of listing, the manufacturer’s instructions and this code. Manufacturers’ installation instructions shall be available on the job site at the time of inspection. Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer’s installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions shall apply.

Unlisted appliances approved in accordance with Section 2404.3 shall be limited to uses recommended by the manufacturer and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, the provisions of this code and the requirements determined by the code official.

SECTION M1901 RANGES AND OVENS

M1901.1 Clearances.

Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances.

M1901.2 Cooking appliances.

Household cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The installation shall not interfere with combustion air or access for operation and servicing.

mark handler said:
Help me out here?International Mechanical Code 2006 (Fifth Printing)

917.1 Cooking appliances.

Cooking appliances that are designed for permanent installation, including ranges, ovens, stoves, broilers, grills, fryers, griddles and barbecues, shall be listed, labeled and installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Oil-burning stoves shall be tested in accordance with UL 896. Solid fuel-fired ovens shall be tested in accordance with UL 2162

IRC 2006

G2408.1 (305.1) General.

Equipment and appliances shall be installed as required by the terms of their approval, in accordance with the conditions of listing, the manufacturer’s instructions and this code. Manufacturers’ installation instructions shall be available on the job site at the time of inspection. Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer’s installation instructions, the conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions shall apply.

Unlisted appliances approved in accordance with Section 2404.3 shall be limited to uses recommended by the manufacturer and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, the provisions of this code and the requirements determined by the code official.

SECTION M1901 RANGES AND OVENS

M1901.1 Clearances.

Freestanding or built-in ranges shall have a vertical clearance above the cooking top of not less than 30 inches (762 mm) to unprotected combustible material. Reduced clearances are permitted in accordance with the listing and labeling of the range hoods or appliances.

M1901.2 Cooking appliances.

Household cooking appliances shall be listed and labeled and shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The installation shall not interfere with combustion air or access for operation and servicing.
What are you questioning Mark?

Gregg Harris said:
What are you questioning Mark?
Jake implied the anti-tip requirements were codified

He quoted code sections, and i don't see the requirements in the code

The only thing we can hang our hat on is to install per manufacturer s instructions

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
Jake implied the anti-tip requirements were codifiedHe quoted code sections, and i don't see the requirements in the code
The requirement imposed by the codes is to install according to the installation and application manual provided by the manufacturer.

The brackets are required to be installed per the manufacturer

From one major appliance manufacture's IOM

Installation Instructions

INSTALLING THE ANTI-TIP DEVICE

A.

Mark the wall where the

RIGHT EDGE

of the range

is to be located. Be sure to allow for the countertop

overhang if you intend to install the range next to

cabinets.

B.

Locate the outside edge of the device 2

′′

toward the

center of the range from the marked edge of the range.

C.

Using the device as a template, mark the position of

the hole for the screw.

D.

For wood construction, drill a pilot hole at an angle

of 20 degrees from the horizontal. A nail or awl may

be used if a drill is not available.

Mount the Anti-Tip device with the screw provided.

For cement or concrete construction, you will need

a 1/4

′′

′′

lag bolt and a 1/2

′′

O.D. sleeve anchor,

which are not provided. Drill the recommended size

hole for the hardware.

WARNING!

Range must be secured with an approved Anti-Tip

device.

Unless properly installed, the range could be

tipped by you or a child standing, sitting or leaning

on an open door.

After installing the Anti-Tip device, verify that it is

in place by carefully attempting to tilt the range

forward.

This range has been designed to meet all

recognized industry tip standards for all normal

conditions.

The use of this device does not preclude tipping

of the range when not properly installed.

If the Anti-Tip device supplied with the range does

not fit this application, use the universal Anti-Tip

device WB2X7909.

Anti-Tip

device

Slotted head

screw

Wallplate

Approx.

20°

/

Marked edge of range

INSTALLING THE ANTI-TIP DEVICE

(CONT.)

Install the sleeve anchor into the drilled hole and then

install the lag bolt through the device. The bolts must be

properly tightened as recommended for the hardware.

E.

Slide the range against the wall, and check for proper

installation by grasping the front edge of the cooktop

and carefully attempting to tilt the range forward.

Back of range

Wallboard

Wood screw

Anti-Tip

device

WHEN ALL HOOKUPS ARE COMPLETED

Make sure all controls are left in the off position. Make

sure the flow of combustion and ventilation a

As I stated before, the anti-tip is not codified, You are relying on the manufacturer to put it in the instructions.

It is not like securing the water heater, which is codified.

mark handler said:
As I stated before, the anti-tip is not codified, You are relying on the manufacturer to put it in the instructions.It is not like securing the water heater, which is codified.
Not as a specific article, but since it is required to be in the installation instruction as part of the appliance listing then it is required under the code

There is no possible way to have everything in its own separate article. Earth quakes where specifically addressed and from that requirements for securing a water heater in a seismic area is required.

If a proposal was submitted to make this a specific subject it would probably be rejected since it is already required by the UL standard and required by the manufacturer.

Why codified water heaters and not other appliances

water heater manufacturers also put it in their instructions but yet it is codified.

mark handler said:
Why codified water heaters and not other appliances water heater manufacturers also put it in their instructions but yet it is codified.
Water heaters are at times installed on platforms and are top heavy due to there design.

I have not seen any water heater requirements that require them to be anchored in all installations as part of there listing.

Gregg Harris said:
Water heaters are at times installed on platforms and are top heavy due to there design.I have not seen any water heater requirements that require them to be anchored in all installations as part of there listing.
As I said It is in their instructions, Not listing

Inspector Gift said:
Is ANYONE requiring that ranges and dishwashers have "Anti-Tip" devices installed, as per the manufacturer's installation instructions? If not, what is the reason?The original topic question has been long ago debated and answered. However, commercial or not, I am told that most inspectors are not requiring the anti-tip devices at final inspection. Why not?

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/3/c3/3c3500d6-e962-5903-b2ee-8bc44481a30d/4c9a5dfa2a07c.preview-300.jpg
The IPC 2009, 409.1 and the IRC 2009 Table P2701.1 both reference ASSE 1004 for (domestic) Dishwashers

ASSE 1004, 1.3.9 and 2.1 will require that the installation of a domestic dishwasher following manufacture installation instruction

It appears that if the manufactuer requires the anti-tip so does the code

mtlogcabin said:
How many un-attended burners need to be left on before the pan of bacon or the griddle of pancakes catches fire?Churches are not the only ones, we have seen it with VFW's and American Legions, Moose, Elk and any number of organizations. Starts with boiling hot dogs or a spaghetti diner to offering hamburgers and fry's on a nightly bases with a fish fry on Saturdays
Forgive me for asking, but... "Do you know any CHURCHES that burned down due to KITCHEN FIRES?"

All the information that I have seen listed the causes as arson, electrical, or non-kitchen related causes. Just saying... 'If it's not a problem, then what's the problem?'

As for anti-tip devices, there are several cases where stoves tipped over and caused serious injuries. I require them to be installed as per the manufacturer's installation instructions.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many fire stations have caught on fire from kitchen fires? I know of two in our state alone in the last two years........

When a non-profit (aka non-taxable) entity spends 12 million on a church building, do you think it unfair to ask for a small percentage to ensure adequate protection off the structure?

https://www.brotherhoodmutual.com/www/?linkservid=FDB18EB1-5056-9664-AA8EEA424EDDA4F6&showMeta=2&ext=.pdf

22% of all fires in churches are cooking fire........ this is from an insurance company that specializes in insurance programs that cater to churches......