• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

6000 s.f. open single tenant open hallway office in a warehouse - fire rated corridors? is there a exception I am missing to avoid sprinklers.

jdreeshb

Just received a correction to rate the circulation hallways (loop) in an open warehouse office build. Normally we would have used all cubicles but in this case, a few are cubicles and the rest offices or conference rooms to 11' in the center. Sprinklers kill the budget (40+k) and with no more than 20 seats in the office, maybe I could do a different calc than using 1:100 gross if he accepted a per office calc. NC also has an exception for single tenants in multistory buildings but that appears to be just multi-story. The halls are 5.5' and are not enclosed to the roof deck but have 11' walls. I actually have 3 exits.

Is there something to hang my hat on to avoid fire-rating the hallways or sprinklers? Most of what I found is a judgment call if he accepts.

He quoted 2 exits = rated corridors if not sprinkled but he also didn't notice it was an open warehouse.

I am checking all the boxes by asking prior to specifying the sprinklers. Thank you.

Welcome

Entire building is 6000???

So for office only what is the occupant load??

Welcome

Entire building is 6000???

So for office only what is the occupant load??
I did B gross at 1:100 for 60 for the building as a whole. Then showed 2 exits required and a third off the break area.
Then I do double-check the conf room, breakroom, and entry at 1:15 when that occupied office is in a meeting together that the conf rooms are fine with 1 exit.
Individual offices and cubicles are provided for about 22 employees.

So question another way

the warehouse and office is 6000 total???

if so what is the sq ft of each ??

If you are able to make the floor plan a link, or flckr or similar,,, you can post it

Oh

Without floor plan a little hard

Add more exits???

Which year edition is it designed to??

Not into IEBC,,, is that in play?

Maybe late, did you call them corridors on the plans?

Last edited:
Ask that the exception be applied

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.

1004.1.2 Areas Without Fixed Seating

Ask that the exception be applied

Exception: Where approved by the building official, the actual number of occupants for whom each occupied space, floor or building is designed, although less than those determined by calculation, shall be permitted to be used in the determination of the design occupant load.

1004.1.2 Areas Without Fixed Seating
2018 code - That is the exception I am going to propose. I have not used it before. The design with all the accessory spaces has a 21-23 person staff maxed out and a secured entry. I am trying to upload a plan but have not found the link to do so besides the http. Ty. I am going to revise from gross to individual rooms and the loading on that corridor will require 1 exit. It will have 3 but require 1. TY.

Can you bring the walls down or something so they do not look like corridors??

Open office looking?

or ask to design to

Business areas. 150 gross

If part of the building will remain warehouse, then you calculate occupant loads (gross area including corridors, restrooms, etc.) for storage space at 1 per 300 SF, and the rest of the building as office at 1 per 100 SF (or 150 if you're on the latest code). The corridor only has to be rated if more than 30 people use it for egress.

If part of the building will remain warehouse, then you calculate occupant loads (gross area including corridors, restrooms, etc.) for storage space at 1 per 300 SF, and the rest of the building as office at 1 per 100 SF (or 150 if you're on the latest code). The corridor only has to be rated if more than 30 people use it for egress.

Got it. We are converting a 6000 s.f. warehouse to 6000 s.f. office.

Ceiling is higher than 11'? gap between your top of corridor wall and roof framing?
Dropped ceilings in offices and corridor?