• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

7'-6" or 7'-0"? Half Story 70% of Floor Area Zoning Calculating Floor Area New York State

7'-6" meets both codes. They are MINIMUM heights, not maximum or exact.
This is for half story zoning, if I design to 70% of floor area under 7'-6", and then find I should have designed to the lower height of minimum ceiling height of 7'-0", I would be considered a "full story" as the percentage would bump up past 70%

Which would be the "applicable building code", the city code of 7'-6" or the state code of 7'-0"?
In this case the 7'-0" is the lowest you can go for the State but the 7'-6" is more stringent meaning that 7'-6" is as low as you can go per the City code. So IMO you need to stay at least 7'-6" for at least 50% of the room.

You need to read the entire section of R305.1 as there are 3 exceptions. If you go to the NYS Dept of State website you will find free access to the 2020 NYS codes that were adopted on May 12, 2020
I found the actual code online! Thank you! I read the three exceptions, I don't think those three exceptions would change the 7'-0" as a minimum ceiling height to apply to half story zoning, if you used R305.1 as the "applicable code"

In this case the 7'-0" is the lowest you can go for the State but the 7'-6" is more stringent meaning that 7'-6" is as low as you can go per the City code. So IMO you need to stay at least 7'-6" for at least 50% of the room.
I think that's the best interpretation, let's hope the City of Albany agrees!

And what reason would you have that this section of code would trump the "stricter" (as in I can't build as high) New York State Code R305.1?

Don't know how Albany is, but suggest you call and talk only to the Building Official.

And ask the BO the question direct, or if you can find a direct email try that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know how Albany is, but suggest you call and talk only to the Building Official.

And ask the BO the question direct, or if you can find a direct email try that.
Yes, I've called and emailed the City of Albany. I'm waiting to hear what they say.

My goal : largest workspace I can in the attic area above the joists,
solution: get as close as I can to 70% of my floor area to be under 7'-6"

I tweaked your post for (i hope) clarity.

I’m sorry ... i must be incredibly dense. Maybe it’s a guy thing. You continually post contradictory statements. If your goal is the largest workspace, why would you force the ceiling height to be under a certain value?

I’m sorry ... i must be incredibly dense. Maybe it’s a guy thing. You continually post contradictory statements. If your goal is the largest workspace, why would you force the ceiling height to be under a certain value?
You're not dense at all! Half story zoning is confusing to explain in words, easy to explain with a drawing of a building section. I'll try and find a drawing and post it...

I Assume trying to stay as a half story for zoning reasons? Because you can have 8, 9, 10 etc. foot ceilings with out the worry.