• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

712.1.8 2012

cda

Sawhorse 123
Anyone using this section "Not" to rate an elevator shaft?

712.1.8 Two-story openings.

In other than Groups I-2 and I-3, a floor opening that is not used as one of the applications listed in this section shall be permitted if it complies with all of the items below.

1. Does not connect more than two stories.

2. Does not contain a stairway or ramp required by Chapter 10.

3. Does not penetrate a horizontal assembly that separates fire areas or smoke barriers that separate smoke compartments.

4. Is not concealed within the construction of a wall or a floor/ceiling assembly.

5. Is not open to a corridor in Group I and R occupancies.

6. Is not open to a corridor on nonsprinklered floors.

7. Is separated from floor openings and air transfer openings serving other floors by construction conforming to required shaft enclosures.

Yes per exception 2 713.14 Elevator, dumbwaiter and other hoistways.

Elevator, dumbwaiter and other hoistway enclosures shall be constructed in accordance with Section 713 and Chapter 30. 713.14.1 Elevator lobby.

An enclosed elevator lobby shall be provided at each floor where an elevator shaft enclosure connects more than three stories. The lobby enclosure shall separate the elevator shaft enclosure doors from each floor by fire partitions. In addition to the requirements in Section 708 for fire partitions, doors protecting openings in the elevator lobby enclosure walls shall also comply with Section 716.5.3 as required for corridor walls and penetrations of the elevator lobby enclosure by ducts and air transfer openings shall be protected as required for corridors in accordance with Section 717.5.4.1. Elevator lobbies shall have at least one means of egress complying with Chapter 10 and other provisions within this code.

Exceptions: 1. Enclosed elevator lobbies are not required at the level(s) of exit discharge, provided the level(s) of exit discharge is equipped with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1.2. Elevators not required to be located in a shaft in accordance with Section 712.1 are not required to have enclosed elevator lobbies.

steveray said:
4. Is not concealed within the construction of a wall or a floor/ceiling assembly.hOW WOULD YOU MEET THAT?
An elevator is not concealed within the construction of a wallor a floor/ceiling assembly. It has walls around it and doors at each floor, but not concealed within a wall. If that was the case, every room in a building with surrounding walls and a door would be considered concealed.

I know there's an elevator there cause I use it.

High Desert said:
An elevator is not concealed within the construction of a wallor a floor/ceiling assembly. It has walls around it and doors at each floor, but not concealed within a wall. If that was the case, every room in a building with surrounding walls and a door would be considered concealed.I know there's an elevator there cause I use it.
I know there is plumbing there cause I use it.....but it is concealed......No?

I guess we can have our own opinions of what concealed is. Mine is that an elevator is not concealed inside of a wall or floor/ceiling assembly. It is simply surrounded by walls. IMHO

AegisFPE said:
I would submit that a glazed elevator hoistway is not concealed, as the interior of the hoistway is visible from outside of the hoistway.
And I would say the same for an exposed block shaft in an exposed "industrial" type setting....