• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

99 Sawhorses Down, NOT Renewed

+ % + % +

Tiger,

Who are you asking your hypothetical question to,

...the builder, ...the Inspector, ...the Owner,

...other, ...all of the above, ...other Code Officials,

etc. ? :cool:

% + % + %

north star said:
+ % + % +

Tiger,

Who are you asking your hypothetical question to,

...the builder, ...the Inspector, ...the Owner,

...other, ...all of the above, ...other Code Officials,

etc. ? :cool:

% + % + %
Inspectors

# ~ # ~ #

As an Inspector, first I would verify what the submitted plans

have on them...........Next, I would seek guidance from "the

powers that be" to see which way the political winds are

blowing for this moment........If there was no dimension on

the submitted plans, I would inform the [ potential ]

homeowner of the discrepancy, ...if allowed to by "them

powers that be" crowd [ FWIW, ...Been there, Done that ! ]

If there was a dimension; of the 39" inches on the plans,

then I would document it and provide a copy of the

Inspection Report to the builder, and wait for their response.

# ~ # ~ #

ICE said:
This thread is a perfect example of how useful this forum can be. A unique feature is that it was brought to us by a civilian home owner. Most other forums are not willing to converse with homeowners. So anyway, the thread brought up an issue of an island being too close to a kitchen counter. It is 33" and apparently the plans call for 39". Now it hasn't occurred to me to pay attention to that until I read the thread. First of all, most islands show up after drywall. An inspector could not know the width between the counters until the cabinets are done and we aren't called in for that. So it will be at final inspection that this is caught. In the thread the mistake is 6". I don't know of a code other than that the construction must match the plans. So let me ask a question: If you discovered this mistake at the final inspection, what would you do? Assume that there is an owner.
Ditto to north star.....

As I am sitting here (on my day off) preparing my 2016 budget proposal, I am reminded that many members can probably do the same thing that I am doing. I have added $60 in the dues/subscriptions/memberships line item to maintain my sawhorse membership to this forum. When dealing with tens of thousands of dollars, what is another $60? ICC charges $135 each year for my governmental membership and I get much more out of this forum.

MikeC said:
As I am sitting here (on my day off) preparing my 2016 budget proposal, I am reminded that many members can probably do the same thing that I am doing. I have added $60 in the dues/subscriptions/memberships line item to maintain my sawhorse membership to this forum. When dealing with tens of thousands of dollars, what is another $60? ICC charges $135 each year for my governmental membership and I get much more out of this forum.
Exactly.

Every Building official makes tens of thousands of dollars every year, so what's another $60?

Be sure to take it out of thier checks. It's what I do. To myself. And I love me.

Brent.

We are officially down 65 Sawhorses and 10 Supporters that have decided to NOT renew their membership. I am hoping that some will have the ability to renew and reduce these numbers as close to zero as possible.If anyone is not a Sawhorse or Supporter, please give us a hand and help reduce our expenses through your paid subscription membership.
Ok can you post a link to the subscription page, where someone can pay to join,

Thanks