• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A fire-resistance rating of ½ hour when residence is equipped with fire-sprinklers.

Linder

The 2022 residential fire-resistance code R302.3 Two-Family Dwelling, Exception 1 states A fire-resistance rating of ½ hour shall be permitted in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system install in accordance with section R313.
Does this mean that 1/2-inch drywall on separation walls, bearing walls and ceilings will meet this requirement?

Considering Los Gatos and use of "2022", I presume that you are referencing the 2022 California Residential Code, which is based upon the 2021 IRC.

The residential code does not include fire resistance-rated assemblies nor a method to do calculated fire resistance. As such, the pathway is through the commercial building code. Under the 2022 CA-BC (2021 IBC), see Section 722 - Calculated Fire Resistance.

Per Table 722.6.2(1), the time assigned to a 1/2-in GWB is 15-minutes. 5/8-in Type X will get you 30-min., 1/2-in Type X 25-min., 19/32-in WSP (exterior glue) 15-min., etc.

Then, per Table 722.6.2(2), the time assigned for contribution of wood framing is 20-min for wood studs at 16-in o.c.

So, it is possible to achieve a 30-min rating with 1/2-in GWB over woods studs 16-in o.c.

Hello classicT:
Yes, I am referring to California building code.
Thank you for your response and guiding me to Section 722. Very helpful.
A 2nd floor will be added to a single-family residence and under a portion of 2nd floor will be converted to an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU).
The floor structure for the 2nd floor will be 16-inch tall open-web trusses at 16-inch OC spanning 21.5-feet. The trusses will be spaced above the 1st floor top plate with 4x8 lumber. The existing 2x6 ceiling joist will remain in place with about a 2-inch separation between top of (E) CJ and bottom of Trusses.
I didn't see anywhere in Section 722 that assigns a time to the trusses. There is time assigned for the contribution of the CJ.
Maybe it would be best to have 5/8-inch GWB installed over the (E) 1/2-inch ceiling GWB. Your thoughts?

Ahh, you are looking at a floor-ceiling assembly then.

Table 722.6.2(2) will provide 10-min for wood floor and roof joists 16-in o.c.. But given that you have trusses, that is of no direct use.

Given the use of trusses, you will instead need to use a prescriptive or tested assembly. Prescriptive assemblies can be found in Table 721.1(3); take a look at item number 21-1.1 below. Or, if you would like to go with a listed assembly, use the UL Product iQ or GA 600 Design Manual.

FYI - Note that the IBC does not have 30-min prescriptive assemblies.

1699468095151.png
1699468018655.png

You answered my question about walls in your 1st response, thank you.
I did see Table 731.1(3) but it seems to not include open web trusses. I was thinking I needed to find a listed assemble. I previously found an open web truss 1-hour assembly below, but it also includes an STC rating which I don't think this project will require. I could not find a 1/2-hour assembly. Maybe such an assembly doesn't exist. It might be time for me to have a discussion with the building official.
Thank you for your responses. Open Web Assembly1.pngOpen Web Assembly2.png

Attachments

• Open Web Assembly1.png
    Open Web Assembly1.png
    455.9 KB · Views: 1
Check to see if the bearing wall now need to have a rating as they are supporting the rated ceiling floor above

You answered my question about walls in your 1st response, thank you.
I did see Table 731.1(3) but it seems to not include open web trusses. I was thinking I needed to find a listed assemble. I previously found an open web truss 1-hour assembly below, but it also includes an STC rating which I don't think this project will require. I could not find a 1/2-hour assembly. Maybe such an assembly doesn't exist. It might be time for me to have a discussion with the building official.
Thank you for your responses. View attachment 11944View attachment 11946
Don't you need sound separation between dwelling units (as this listing shows)?