• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A-frame dwelling

By code definition, it is a wall. Metal roofing would be my "siding" of choice.

As far as stud length, I think it's the distance between lateral support, not the actual length of the piece of material. Correct? Else balloon framing would not be permitted and I'm pretty sure it is permitted. Correct? So a floor every 12' or less.

From a prescriptive view, how is it different from a balloon framed house? Does require acceptance of walls not vertical, but I don't see that being forbidden by the code.

So, as I asked above: Can an a-frame dwelling be built prescriptively and comply with the IRC? Seems like a fair question.

Skylights are in a roof. Maybe we can go by this:

2018 IRC and IECC definitions
FENESTRATION. Products classified as either vertical fenestration
or skylights.
Skylights. Glass or other transparent or translucent glazing
material installed at a slope of less than 60 degrees
(1.05 rad) from horizontal.
Vertical fenestration. Windows that are fixed or operable,
opaque doors, glazed doors, glazed block and combination
combination
opaque/glazed doors composed of glass or other
transparent or translucent glazing materials and installed at
a slope of not less than 60 degrees (1.05 rad) from horizontal.

Isn't that just consistent with the definition of wall?
No it's not. This is the definition in the 2018 IRC:

[RB] WALLS. Walls shall be defined as follows:
Load-bearing wall. A wall supporting any vertical load in
addition to its own weight.
Nonbearing wall. A wall which does not support vertical
loads other than its own weight.

No it's not. This is the definition in the 2018 IRC:

[RB] WALLS. Walls shall be defined as follows:
Load-bearing wall. A wall supporting any vertical load in
addition to its own weight.
Nonbearing wall. A wall which does not support vertical
loads other than its own weight.
I was not explicit enough for you I guess. Should have said "Isn't that consistent with the definition of exterior walls" (where windows are usually installed). From post #6:

2018 IBC
[BF] EXTERIOR WALL. A wall, bearing or nonbearing, that is used as an enclosing wall for a building, other than a fire wall, and that has a slope of 60 degrees (1.05 rad) or greater with the horizontal plane

Suggest that when the IRC was developed they were not thinking about an A frame building. When the IRC has not addressed certain issues it is appropriate to look at general the building code.

When an engineer is required is determined by the state licensing laws not the building code.

Have an engineer address the structural issues.