• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

A real life example of the need for ADA

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Here is the embedded video and below it is the direct link for those that cannot access embedded links from work. Discuss

[video=youtube;uXCUR63Z8is]

You sound like a real A-hole.

If you think he deserves respect, put your phone down, march your *** over there and help him out.

Signed, one of the morons

mjesse said:
You sound like a real A-hole. ​Thank you for recognizing that publiclyIf you think he deserves respect, put your phone down, march your *** over there and help him out. Actually I did offer but his nurse declined

Signed, one of the morons Thank you for recognizing that publicly
We are all entitled to our opinion. Since this was directed at me I am OK with it but don't ever do that to anyone else in the future please.

jar546 said:
We are all entitled to our opinion. Since this was directed at me I am OK with it but don't ever do that to anyone else in the future please.
Agreed, no feelings hurt here.

I think what ruffles the feathers of us morons, is over-the-top enforcement and lawsuits as a profit generator. A couple items of note;

a. The color of the lines the man was walking on. Illinois Accessibility Code only allows for yellow to be used. So if that Wendy's was in Illinois, it would be in violation of the law.

b. Minor signage details. I believe there are some who wouldn't permit the parking signs to be wall mounted like the ones in the video. Clearly they are acceptable to me, but let's not cause a panic or lawsuit if they are 1-1/2" too high.

ADA regs. are a good thing. To me, the video shows that they have been applied reasonably and constructed accordingly. Looks like everything is working as planned.

But that shouldn't give the rule-makers and enforcers free reign to apply ever increasing requirements to each and every public and private property on earth. A reasonable person should understand there is a limit to how much regulation is enough. The sticking point is where that line is drawn, and by whom.

mj

mjesse said:
You sound like a real A-hole.If you think he deserves respect, put your phone down, march your *** over there and help him out.

Signed, one of the morons
You have to be careful. It's easy to get a55holes and building inspectors mixed up. REAL easy. :)

Brent.

mjesse, yellow is also used in Washington as it shows better beneath snow (allowed as a local condition)

Admin, as this is "your" site please consider avoiding stirring up those who don't care to understand what many of us are doing to improve access.

Underneath mj does understand the need but doesn't support the approach as being government mandated, right MJ?

I am reading an ICC publication titled "Inspector Skills" by Stephen a. Van Note. I am about 3/4 through it and I would recommend it for all inspectors, new and seasoned.

The main difference I see between achieving building code compliance and accessibility are our differing attitudes. I see a project as how can we work together towards having a safe building and having the ability to be flexible in what is acceptable. However, I see where Accessibility Codes and the advocates for strict enforcement are inflexible in what is acceptable and what may have contributed to the problem to reach a solution.

As far as jars video I hope the gentleman did not get in the drivers seat. As for respect, all elderly people deserve respect.

ADAguy said:
Underneath mj does understand the need but doesn't support the approach as being government mandated, right MJ?
We all need rules, it makes our society a better place. Certain mandates have their place as well. It's the inflexible interpretation that starts to twist me up. There must always be room for exceptions without the threat of immediate persecution.

Jumping to the conclusion that you're civil rights have been violated because someone mounted a bathroom mirror too high (or similar) just strikes me as a bit crazy

Mountain Man said:
As far as jars video I hope the gentleman did not get in the drivers seat. As for respect, all elderly people deserve respect.
Well I'm 78 years old and some would classify me as elderly, I do not want any special considerations because of my age, in fact I resent any special treatment because of my age, and I resent the billions of dollars of tax money going to aid a special class of people. Getting old is a fact of life, we all have to accept our limitations as we age, the only special consideration I'd like to have is stop making us pay taxes to support those too lazy or stupid to pay their own way in life. As I've said before the only good parts of ADA, according to those my age who do use wheelchairs, are the curb cuts.

mark handler said:
You may have that additue at 74 but will bet you a hundred you won't have that additue at 94
I'll take that bet.

I'm pretty sure ConArb is the real deal. I remember him from another forum years ago.

But there will always be those like you who believe with all their heart, they know what's best for someone (or everyone) else.

Last edited by a moderator:
mark handler said:
You may have that additue at 74 but will bet you a hundred you won't have that additue at 94
When my mother was about 92 I got her physician to fill out the forms for a Handicapped placard to make it easier for her, she refused to use it saying that nobody was going to call her inferior. She stopped driving at 97 because of her fear of the DMV reissuing her license, when I took her to the store after that she still refused to allow me to use it to park right up front at over 100 years of age, when taking her to the store she made me go get a shopping basket that she pushed using it as a walker, so nobody would know that he needed any help. At restaurants I'd select those with valet service so I could park at the front so she could easily walk in without help.

MASSDRIVER said:
You have to be careful. It's easy to get a55holes and building inspectors mixed up. REAL easy. :) Brent.
There's no mistake this time.

conarb said:
When my mother was about 92 I got her physician to fill out the forms for a Handicapped placard to make it easier for her, she refused to use it saying that nobody was going to call her inferior. She stopped driving at 97 because of her fear of the DMV reissuing her license, when I took her to the store after that she still refused to allow me to use it to park right up front at over 100 years of age, when taking her to the store she made me go get a shopping basket that she pushed using it as a walker, so nobody would know that he needed any help. At restaurants I'd select those with valet service so I could park at the front so she could easily walk in without help.
Dick I will still make that bet. I know Helen will still be proud....Hopefully we will still be on this site in twenty years and you can collect.

Now that I've seen the video...

Deserve has nothing to do with anything. He may be a decorated veteran that stormed beaches, or a good man that lived his life right and helped others throughout.

Or he may be a Nazi war criminal. He may have spent his whole life making other people miserable, and deserves the way he is.

Irrelevant.

Even with all the accessibility features of that Wendy's (I used to build Wendy's. That's a 3480 plan.) it is still unaccessable to him. He still needs assistance. It could be completely flat from his car to the counter and 8 feet wide. He would still be in the same boat.

As a personal observation, people using walkers seem to have a harder time navigating even than those in wheelchairs.

And, that is new construction. It should be compliant. That does not mean we tear down half of this country's structures and spend billions of dollars so he can take 30 minutes to buy a can of tomato soup at some little downtown grocery store. There are places that are open and appropriate for him to go to.

Now, for anybody that thinks I'm an insensitive prick or moron, let me tell YOU a little story.

Some years back, I had to leave a job and go to Target to launch a democrat. Pinch a loaf, as it were. I go in the bathroom and start the process of choosing an appropriate stall for the occasion.

Then I notice wimpering. Then a weak "help please help me". ( I'm tearing up now remembering). In the back stall is an old man crying for help. Crying. I asked what was wrong, but he started weaping harder. I couldn't get the stall door open, so I kicked that b!tch in. And here is what I see.

A walker heeled over, and an OLD man with his pants around his ankles, covered in *****. His left hand was caught in the grab bar to his wrist and was sprained, his other arm was in the sh1tty goddamn toilet.

So I looked at him and gagged out "don't worry, I'm here." I turned around and barfed my guts out, and then commenced to commencing. I got his pants and shirt off and rinsed them in the next toilet. Got his hand out of the bar. Took me about 30 minutes to get him squared away, and 3 other pussies came in and saw this sh1tstorm and bailed. We took a slow walk to his car and got him settled in. I asked he if wanted me to follow him home but he declined. Tried to give me the 40 bucks in his wallet. I declined.

This was in Oroville, CA. I was about 30 at the time.

So here's the good part; Got back, covered in crap, and some barf. The whole episode went about an hour and a half. Got fired on the spot because I wasn't there to meet the inspector.

Guess I'm a Moron.

Now, I was never a door gunner in the Marines, but Iv'e been to two goat ropin's and a county fair. That ain't the only story I have to tell. And after all that, I will maintain that imposing the BS that is ADA discrimination on good folks that don't "deserve" it is an unethical practice.

With all the reverence and respect due to Jeff and all other members here,

Brent.

Jeff

Dick, Brent and Mike will be curmudgeons until it happens to them or a close family member.

Not worth the time and effort

t

mark handler said:
JeffDick, Brent and Mike will be curmudgeons until it happens to them or a close family member.
No Mark, I'm not as selfeshly shallow as that. Some people are tougher, hardier, and hold to thier ideals more dearly than pain and discomfort can dislodge. They don't want what you are selling. They do not want the whole world to change for them. they ask no special quarter. They wold rather you just go away.

Really. Your kind have no importance to them.

I am not insulting you, just stating a fact.

Now, shall I recount the story of my grandmothers, dead from cancer, or battling dimentia? My Great Grandfather, when they removed his arm and leg, went to his bed and died 2 days later? Perhaps my Grandpa, stroke, cancer, dead. Dad, stroked out? Uncle in a wheelchair maybe? Wife's uncle fell off a ladder 4 foot high and gave him TBI dispite his union hardhat can't walk without help, can't stop crying?

You crack me up.

To quote YOU, "you know nothing about me".

I like that. Gonna use the hell out of it.

Brent

MASSDRIVER said:
This was in Oroville, CA. I was about 30 at the time.

Brent.
Must have been K-Mart....I don't recall there being a Target store in Oroville. I hear tell that Wal-Mart will be moving to a new location and Target will open in the current spot.

Now you all know the rest of your stories, each agreeing to agree/disagree for differing reasons. Thank you for sharing at this late hour.

Well, it's morning, I am drinking my decaf coffee and not in a pi$$y mood yet.

Scratch that. As luck would have it, my wife just came into my home office ranting and now I am in a pi$$y mood.

The response will have to wait now so that I am not influenced by the surroundings of my personal life. Damn! I was all ready to type.

mark handler said:
JeffDick, Brent and Mike will be curmudgeons until it happens to them or a close family member.

Not worth the time and effort

t
Wrong again.

IT, has happened to me, a few times over.

I won't give examples 'cuz it'll make you sick.

You won't find me whining, crying, or wallowing in guilt. No looking for handouts or special treatment.

Similar to what Brent and Dick say, I don't need to find someone to blame. I don't need someone to change their ways to suit me. I don't need the rules to change for everyone because of my misfortune.

I don't tell you how to live your life, don't tell me how to live mine.

mj

Not telling anyone how to live their life, Time will tell on your attitude change.

All I am telling people is to design and enforce the codes and standards in their area. I'm not telling anyone how to live their life.

And if you cannot understand that, I'm sorry, and by the way if you don't like my posts, don't read them, maybe I am telling you how to live, ignore my posts do not read them