• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Abandoned Foundations

Mark k

Agree the foundation would not have to be removed but the hole in the ground that is left by not completing the work is the nusiance. Also if the foundation was erected during the warm months and air entrained concrete was not used and now the foundation has been left exposed to the elements for 4 years as the OP indicates I think in my climate and fatboys we would have concern if the foundations where not compromised during that time period.

mtlogcabin

No problem with requiring them to abate the nusiance. I would suggest that you do not need additional regulations to address that problem.

If there was a concern about deterioration of the foundation making it unusable as a foundation, I would address it in the future when they decide what they want to do. The code already has tools to identify these concerns. For example IRC Sections R105.9 and AJ104. Also IBC Section 110.2.

You may find that the freeze thaw damage to the concrete is repairable but if it is not that is the risk the owner accepts. You cannot protect people from the consequences of their actions.

When the high priority nuisances in your community are abandoned foundations, it will be time to leave the temple, Grasshopper.

My comments were reserved only to foundation removal as part of a total demo permit. I have several more foundations around town that builders walked away from years ago, they can sit as long as they need to, I'll require an engineers evaluation prior to any structures being built.

If you fill it in and the floor system is not in place you could have a real problem with unbalanced load on the walls unless you bury the whole thing. If the foundation walls are more than 24" then you have an unbalanced retaining wall if you fill it in. What will it harm if it just stays like it is? A foundation will not really weather per se. There are provisions in the code for unsafe during construction but this does not seem to qualify imo.

Most building departments can't write a "policy" without the legislative branch buying into it... which means codification of it... good job, Fat!

Thanks peachy........finished up the first draft of the amendment Friday. Going to drop it into our adopted IPMC, since then it would cover all built structures. I will get it in to Council right after the first of the year. As I said, I don't knowingly enforce something that is not codified, but sometimes it's one of those "well, this is how we do it" and you never have a reason to question it.

Thanks to all that replied. Well, the "policy" people stepped in and listen to the developer that wants to bury the concrete. He is to knock the walls (9' high) in as flat as possible and bury. He is then to place statement to the fact of buried foundation & footing concrete on the final plat of survey. This will warn future buyers. Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays All