• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Abercrombie & Fitch brand Hollister Co. ALL U.S. store entrances

Was just in the Boca Raton mall on Thursday and their entrances were compliant. I wonder if FL held them to a standard and it was just a few states that did not?

mark handler said:
Learn from the mistakes of others.We are not talking about an existing nonaccessible building, we are talking about, on a corporate level, intentionally building obstacles preventing access, and knowingly circumventing the code.
Except they knowingly made a compliant entrance.

Maybe they needed a sign. Make em make a sign.

Brent.

mtlogcabin said:
Payback? From whom?
We are not talking about an existing nonaccessible building, we are talking about, on a corporate level, intentionally building obstacles preventing access, and knowingly circumventing the code

Sounds like the stadium style seating debacle a dozen years ago where they put the accessible seating up front and ramped up the rest of the seating.

I remember one of our multiplexes had about half the theaters done that way then the industry lost the ADA case and had to stop and reconfigure with accessible seating in the middle as well as the front--new plans tore out the just completed work and started over.

I also remember questioning A&F but they assured us the adjacent accessible entrance met code. and the met the percentages and we could nto refuse given the letter of the code.

Still not surprised the Feds did not agree regarding intent.

I just walked by a Hollister the other day. Not accessible one bit. The problem was that the shutters were open, but the doors (which are double doors in +/-36" opening) were closed. The hardware on them was like what you'd find on a closet...an indented metal plate. And to top it all off, there is a custom accessible sign by the door that is not accessible. I should have taken a picture.

I agree that these entrances would suffice...IF they were accessible.

What is funny is that my wife said to me as we walked by, "I just read in the news that they got in a lot of trouble for their entrances."

Apparently the people not paying attention are the ones in charge of the store.

mark handler said:
We are not talking about an existing nonaccessible building, we are talking about, on a corporate level, intentionally building obstacles preventing access, and knowingly circumventing the code
As I posted before