• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

AC Line set penetration sealing

DMartin

So I went out to inspect on an AC install. Where the line set penetrates the wall they are using a putty. not too concerning except that it is a VERY malleable type putty (if that is the right word). I am looking at the IMC but can not find a required sealing method for this. can anyone help me out here I am not sure I like it. not sure it would keep out the elements very well. I can touch it with no pressure and mold it.
Any help is appreciated.

Dum..dum. used to seal the line set at the exterior wall. I have seen silicone used, comes in colors but I have not made it a point to demand either, just need it sealed. Also have them seal the sides and top of the A/C disconnect to prevent water intrusion.

A product like Ideal duct seal and there is also a flashing boot out on the market but I've never seen it used, probably due to additional cost.

You got to keep water, bugs and critters out.