• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access controlled egress door

Sifu

SAWHORSE
2012 IBC, 1008.1.9.8
Item #6 says the entrance doors in buildings can't be secured from the egress side during periods the doors are open to the general public. The commentary to this section says that those doors will not require the use of the system.
In a tenant suite, with main public entry doors, a mag-log complying with all of the other provisions of 1008.1.9.8 is installed. Is this compliant? On one hand, the door is not secured from the inside via all of the mechanisms listed in the code section. On the other hand, the system is still engaged. Or, does this section only apply to the main building doors, and not to the individual tenant spaces?
If a timer is installed as part of the system to disengage the entire system would that be compliant........or is the timer now part of the system?
This stuff hurts my brain.

"""This stuff hurts my brain"""

Agree

Another code change needed, plus all the door locks are not in the same place

Yeah, I don't think that is very clear. The main requirement of 1008.1.9.8 applies to "entrance doors ...in buildings" and "entrance doors to tenant spaces". Item #6 applies to "entrance doors in buildings". So it seems there is a distinction between building entrances and tenant suite entrances, but it pretty much escapes me why that would be the case. And, the entrance door to a tenant suite is "in" the building, so that doesn't help. This stuff makes my head hurt too.

There has been a lot of confusion about this section, so it was modified in the 2015 IBC. The requirement that was in Item 6 was removed. In my opinion, if the locks functioned as required by code, the doors were never secured from the egress side so it was extraneous information just caused confusion.

The language about entrances and tenant entrances was also changed in the 2015 IBC, although it isn't perfect. Now it says "doors located in a means of egress" but it still also refers to "entrance doors to tenant spaces" which is duplicate info since those would also be doors in a means of egress. I will try to get that fixed in the 2021 edition. I was able to help edit the 2015 Commentary for this section, so there might be some clarifications there that will help.

Here's the beginning of this section in the 2015 IBC:

1010.1.9.8 Sensor release of electrically locked
egress doors. The electric locks on sensor released
doors located in a means of egress in buildings with an
occupancy in Group A, B, E, I-1, I-2, I-4, M, R-1 or R2
and entrance doors to tenant spaces in occupancies in
Group A, B, E, I-1, I-2, I-4, M, R-1 or R-2 are permitted
where installed and operated in accordance with all
of the following criteria...

I too think it was a little redundant. Gonna approve it by disregarding #6.