• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access to a bathroom

Sifu

SAWHORSE
Given a SFD with a bedroom that has it's only access to the main house by traveling outside and then back in, and the bathrooms are located in the main house. I can find no building code that prohibits this, or addresses it (outside the IPMC which gets close but not exact). Anyone know of a code that would prevent this?

There is nothing in the building code that requires an indoor pathway from a bedroom to a bathroom, or from one part o a house to any other part of a house.

this might be a stretch 2015 IRC

[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete
independent living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking
and sanitation.

This question came to me from another AHJ looking for help. I told them I knew of no prohibition in the building codes and that it would probably come down to a zoning issue. The rub is that this is an ADU (complete with sleeping, eating and sanitation), accessory to an SFD. So the ADU wants to convert an unused storage room to a sleeping room, but not provide direct access into the otherwise self contained ADU. I cautioned them that this could be viewed by planning and zoning as trying to create an additional ADU, and that they really need to consult internally with planning before making any determinations. Ultimately I told them that if it were me, I would not be able to provide a code reference to prohibit it. Then I remembered I have this giant network of experts to consult with so I figured I would use the asset.

So thanks everyone.

this might be a stretch 2015 IRC

[RB] DWELLING UNIT. A single unit providing complete
independent living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, eating, cooking
and sanitation.
You are correct - - except there is nothing in this definition that says a single unit must be contained within a single building.

You are correct - - except there is nothing in this definition that says a single unit must be contained within a single building.
This needs some work as we had another thread where we were talking about accessory structures and how they are NOT dwelling units....as they are not complete with all of the required features....

Unless we don't want to install CO detection in remote "non- dwelling unit" buildings....like garages with habitable space above...

R315.2.1 New construction. For new construction, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in dwelling units where either or both of the following conditions
exist.

And a whole bunch of "dwelling unit" requirements

This is a dwelling unit within one structure. But in order to get to the sanitation element of the dwelling unit, one must travel outside of the sleeping room and then re-enter the structure. Not sure any codes have been written disallowing that. It is a sleeping room attached to the structure, but without direct access.

This needs some work as we had another thread where we were talking about accessory structures and how they are NOT dwelling units....as they are not complete with all of the required features....

Unless we don't want to install CO detection in remote "non- dwelling unit" buildings....like garages with habitable space above...

R315.2.1 New construction. For new construction, carbon monoxide alarms shall be provided in dwelling units where either or both of the following conditions
exist.

And a whole bunch of "dwelling unit" requirements
In that instance, the separate structure bathroom/outhouse would form part of the entire single dwelling unit complex, and you would install a CO detector in the bathroom.

In that instance, the separate structure bathroom/outhouse would form part of the entire single dwelling unit complex, and you would install a CO detector in the bathroom.
Sooooo.....In a detached garage with living space above it, lets call it a game room....Do you drywall separate? Do you sprinkler?

Sooooo.....In a detached garage with living space above it, lets call it a game room....Do you drywall separate? Do you sprinkler?

Steveray, in our area, the question is usually moot because our local ordinances require sprinklering anyway.

But for the sake of your question, if local ordinances did not require it except at the dwelling unit, then my approach would be: if the game room was an essential facility for one or more of the minimum 4 activities (living, sleeping, eating, and cooking) that define a dwelling unit in CBC/IBC 202, then yes I would say that game room was part of the dwelling unit, and not an accessory.

As a specific example, let's say that game room had the only kitchen on the whole property, and the bathroom and sleeping room were in a separate building. There's no other place to cook except in the game room. Therefore the game room must be part of the collection of buildings that comprise a single dwelling unit. It would need whatever features (sprinklers, CO detectors, etc.) that re normally required for other rooms in the dwelling unit.