• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access to Basement/Utility Vault via Floor Hatch

Hello. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

I haven't given up on this.

My Sprinkler contractor is talking to the city fire inspector to see if there is a problem on their end. The sprinkler contractor seems to think this may be acceptable if the room is sprinkled and its identified properly. We had planned to sprinkler the room all along so the issue right now may be the identification. This may take a creative approach but I'm sure its doable.

We plan on leaving the full stair, not a ladder or ships ladder, and it's covered with a double hatchway, 4' wide by 8' long. I worked with the supplier so it has hydraulic arms that asset the opening so you don't have to be a weightlifter to open it.

All,

Well, this took some time but I was able to work this out with the fire inspector, mechanical reviewer and building plan reviewer.

There is nothing in the code that directly refers to hatch openings in basement/utility vaults. And because this is not a basement and contains appliances the building reviewer says it's a crawl space and deferred to the mechanical reviewer. Mechanical only requires an opening large enough for access to move equipment in and out.

So I'm relabeling it a crawl space, leaving the hatch as is, because it's large enough for the equipment.

Fire inspector found it acceptable with signage labeling the access per code and some type of railing or other method to prevent tables on top of the hatch.

So in lieu of the railing they have accepted the hatch plan.

Victory! I earned my pay on this item alone but I doubt the client will appreciate the pain I had to go through to get to this.

Happy Holidays!

nitramnaed said:
All,Well, this took some time but I was able to work this out with the fire inspector, mechanical reviewer and building plan reviewer.

There is nothing in the code that directly refers to hatch openings in basement/utility vaults. And because this is not a basement and contains appliances the building reviewer says it's a crawl space and deferred to the mechanical reviewer. Mechanical only requires an opening large enough for access to move equipment in and out.

So I'm relabeling it a crawl space, leaving the hatch as is, because it's large enough for the equipment.

Fire inspector found it acceptable with signage labeling the access per code and some type of railing or other method to prevent tables on top of the hatch.

So in lieu of the railing they have accepted the hatch plan.

Victory! I earned my pay on this item alone but I doubt the client will appreciate the pain I had to go through to get to this.

Happy Holidays!
Being combustible construction

Are you required to have fire sprinkler protection in the "crawl space"

The riser shown in the picture in the previous post is still in a room with a door just like the risers in the Home Depot or a warehouse, albeit one large room with a door. As for the in risers being outside, access to the riser/s would not fall under IFC 901.4.6 because they are not located in a room. The point of the requirement is access and removal or repair.

ZIG

I am glad that I am not a member of the fire department that has to protect this establishment.

TJacobs said:
I am glad that I am not a member of the fire department that has to protect this establishment.
In what way?

Fully Sprinklered building, central alarm system, siamese connection that is fully visible at the front of the building, knock box with key access.

Any fire firefighters out there that can tell me how this proposed design is a risk to their ability to fight a fire in this establishment?

nitramnaed said:
In what way? Fully Sprinklered building, central alarm system, siamese connection that is fully visible at the front of the building, knock box with key access.

Any fire firefighters out there that can tell me how this proposed design is a risk to their ability to fight a fire in this establishment?
If the sprinkler system is activated, designed correctly, should control the fire. Afterwards probie gets to go in the crawl space and shut it off.

If overwhelms the fire sprinkler system, no need to go into the crawl space.

Maybe in my AHJ, might require an outsid PIV.

Try climbing down ladders, hatches, etc. with 33 lbs of bunker gear on, limited visibility with an SCBA airpack on.... that slightly changes your center of balance..... then try to operate sprinkler wedges, hammers. etc/ with thick leather gloves on which are mandated by OSHA to resist penetration by a 16 penny nail...... now you can add any other conditions caused by the fire and/or sprinkler activation.

= + = &

**nitramnaed**,

O.K., ...so I'm still trying to wrap my head around this

project........Something about a "crawl space" area being

used as a Utility \ Fire Riser \ Electrical MDP space just

doesn't sit well with me........I know, it's my problem ! :D

No disrespect intended, but if I may ask some more

questions of you, do you have the actual square footage

of this "crawl space" and will any fire pumps be located

in this same space [ i.e. - Section 913.2.1, ...913.3.3 &

901.8, `12 IBC & Article 110.26 - Working Clearances,

NEC ] ?...........Does all of your planned equipment &

stuff actually fit down there ?

0 8 0 8 0

& = &

Will there be any fire pumps located in your

Crawl Space [ RE: Section 913.5.4, `12 IFC ] ?

Thanks !

& = &

# : : : #

**nitramnaed**,

O.K., ...thanks !

I have vetted your project with all that I know to vette

it with........I reckon it is code compliant, but it just

has that feeling of something not right about it.

Going back in to my bunker for now... :D

# : : : #

Maybe in my AHJ, might require an outsid PIV.
This is an urban location so a PIV would have to be wall mounted. That's an awfully large contraption sticking out over the public sidewalk. Can't say that I have ever seen one in this type of location.

nitramnaed said:
This is an urban location so a PIV would have to be wall mounted. That's an awfully large contraption sticking out over the public sidewalk. Can't say that I have ever seen one in this type of location.
Not really

Can be located in various locations