• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access to Service Panel

imhotep said:
The OP said that the electrical room was at the end of a hallway accessible either trough the adjacent tenant space or through the 4 x 4 hole in the wall in the bathroom. I believe it is a valid question.
So the only way to access the panel is to go through the lease space next door and get him to unlock the back door that leads to this hallway where the service panel is located!! HELLO .
Read......

It would make for interesting labling or signage, do you hang the electric room sign in the bathroom or on the door to the bathroom or both. What if the controls for the AHU is in the electric room or fire alarm panel. Would most fire fighters ever think to go in the bathroom to locate the signs in there.

Each space needs access, what if it is only one space and the only way to the electrical/mechanical room is through the bathroom. Is it allowed? and if it is how do you label the bathroom door?

mark handler said:
Read......
Read.....

"When I got through the hole I walked down a 6 ft hallway about 20 feet in length... and straight ahead was an electrical rook(SIC) with the service panel!!!"

imhotep said:
Read....."When I got through the hole I walked down a 6 ft hallway about 20 feet in length... and straight ahead was an electrical rook(SIC) with the service panel!!!"
Keep reading there's more

I'll bet you read half a book and stop....

mark handler said:
Keep reading there's moreI'll bet you read half a book and stop....
Nice.

If a door was placed in the bathroom there would be access to the electrical panel without going through the adjacent tenant space. The hall would then be limited common space shared between the two tenants. Both the existing tenant door and the new door in the bathroom (if allowed) would serve as access to the electrical panels. The question was what code provision would prohibit this?

NEC 230.70(A) The service disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entrance of the service-entrance conductors.

what happes to the readily accessible location when the adjacent tenant blocks the door

Last edited by a moderator:
225.35 Access to Occupants. In a multiple-occupancy

building, each occupant shall have access to the occupant's

supply disconnecting means.

Exception: In a multiple-occupancy building where

electric supply and electrical maintenance are provided by

the building management and where these are under

continuous building management supervision, the supply

disconnecting means supplying more than one occupancy

shall be permitted to be accessible to authorized

management personnel only.

mark handler said:
225.35 Access to Occupants. In a multiple-occupancybuilding, each occupant shall have access to the occupant's

supply disconnecting means.

Exception: In a multiple-occupancy building where

electric supply and electrical maintenance are provided by

the building management and where these are under

continuous building management supervision, the supply

disconnecting means supplying more than one occupancy

shall be permitted to be accessible to authorized

management personnel only.
ARTICLE 225 Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders ???

chris kennedy said:
ARTICLE 225 Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders ???
Yes, and? There are no "Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders" in multiple-occupancy buildings?

You don't need access?

There is only 16" to 24" of space left to the right of the lavatory. To install a door the door would have to swing in and then toy would only have the 16 to 24" space left to access the hallway.

Doesn't the electrical room door have to swing outward? What about the clearance to get through the door? Maybe 24".......

Thanks for all of the discussion. There are some very interesting comments!

mark handler said:
Yes, and? There are no "Outside Branch Circuits and Feeders" in multiple-occupancy buildings?You don't need access?
225.35 only applies to multiple buildings supplied by branch circuits of feeders. Check out the title of Part II of Article 225.

Chris

What about the question of whether a door to an electric room can be located in a bathroom?

Wouldn't Section 1014.2, No. 3 apply?

2006 IBC - Section 1014.2, No. 3 and 2902.4 [P]: An exit access shall not pass through

a room that can be locked to prevent egress.

gbhammer said:
What about the question of whether a door to an electric room can be located in a bathroom?
I see nothing in the NEC that would prohibit a door to an electrical room from being located in a bathroom.

In fact I have worked on a rec center where the electrical room was accessed through the women's locker room.

Chris

Chris,

It's going to come from the IPC & the IBC.

Section 310.4, from the 2006 IPC would make the door(s) lockable, if the toilet

room is for use by a single user. A multi-user restroom ( or in your case, ..a

locker room ), would have individual privacy stalls that have latches on the doors.

310.4 Water closet compartment.

Each water closet utilized by the public or employees shall occupy a separate

compartment with walls or partitions and a door enclosing the fixtures to ensure

privacy.

Exceptions:

1. Water closet compartments shall not be required in a single-occupant toilet room

with a lockable door.

2. Toilet rooms located in day care and child-care facilities and containing two or

more water closets shall be permitted to have one water closet without an enclosing

compartment.

Last edited by a moderator:
bkplan welcome to the discussion. Is this really your first post since signing up two years ago?

It was discussed at the framing inspection by another inspector. I was not aware of the conversation and the other inspector agreed that access to the panel was approved through the adjacent space. It wasn't ntil the final that I tried to access the panel and the space next door was locked and I was told by the contractor that I had to crawl through the hole to inspect it. That's what brought this thread to the forum.

By the way! Welcome to the forum! Weird though.....Join date of January 2010 and this is your first post???? I'm glad you decided to chime in but please feel free to jump in more often. :)