• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Access to Storage Space

nsw1475

I am looking to partition the basement of my home (Utah) to form an accessory (in-law) apartment. I have two storage rooms that are accessible only through what will be the accessory apartment; however, I would like to keep them with the main dwelling instead.
My current plan is to leave the existing door connecting the storage to an accessory (though upgrading it to be lockable from both sides). However, I am finding that adding a new access to the main dwelling is a little tricky. Without considerable changes to the layout of the basement which I am not willing to do, I am left with two options:
  1. Add a standard (3' wide, 80" tall) doorway into the storage space that connects to a narrow hallway that is 2' 2.5" wide and 7.5' long, where Utah codes specify hallways must be 3' wide
  2. Add a passage under a stairway into the storage area that is 3' long, with an opening 3' wide and 80" tall on one side but only about 50" tall on the other.
I am hoping that by preserving the original access, which will remain locked most of the time, at least one of the above options will pass inspection. Is this possible?

Welcome

Are you going have the required door or window directly to the outside for the new in law bedroom?????

If you can make a simple floor plan with the two options and

Turn them into a link

Post the link, might help

As usual, attempting to make a silk purse out of a souse's ear while not addressing issues of non-compliance.
Corridor width & height and window requirements must be addressed.
Is there a separate exit to the exterior from the proposed unit?

The bedroom and any other living space in the accessory apartment would be unaffected by this change; all window and corridors to these living spaces are to code, and there is a separate exit to the exterior from the proposed unit.

The only thing affected by my question would be access to two rooms that do not have exterior windows and whose purpose is storage (one is a cold storage room). Access to these rooms through the accessory apartment should be to code. I simply hope to keep that access locked and provide an alternate access so that these rooms can be used with the primary dwelling instead. If this is not possible, I will leave the rooms with the accessory apartment, my primary purpose is to keep things to code.

Here is a floor plan: https://imgur.com/a/lh6cSMJ
The green area is a part of the primary dwelling, the blue in the accessory apartment, and the red are the two rooms that are accessible through the accessory apartment (specifically through the bathroom), but which I hope to connect to the primary.

I am not residential but

Number two option might work,,,,

If you can get the underside of the stairs to meet code, as far as drywall and type needed

Suggest just set down with building Dept and run question by them

Plan says a lot:
1. Bedroom opens directly to kitchen?
2. No windows in bedroom?
3. Storage rooms could be identified as closets
4. Suggest you swap bathroom with utility for better adjacency to bedroom.
5. Ceiling height in unit?
6. HVAC distribution?
7. Basement walls water tight?