• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility for zipline tour/amusement ride

righter101

Gold Member
Our jurisdication has a "zip line tour" going in. classified as an A5 (amusement ride). consists of 8 or so line segements. riders are harnessed in, ride the line, get out at a ground or tower termination then move on to the next line. some of the transitions from the end of one and beginning of the next are via the same platform in a tree, while others involve a short walk across uneven ground or rocks.

Question: using the scoping provisions of the IBC Ch. 11, what would you require to be accessible. I have a no brainer of the parking, accessible restrooms at the parking lot, accessible path to the start of the ride... beyond that??

would one reasonably consdier the ride to be a single entity, provide access to the start?

should the paths within the course be required to meet accessibity requirements???

any input is appreciated.

thanks.

Rick highlights one of the major traps within the accessibility codes. While a building official might determine that the amusement device is Group U occupancy and not subject to the IBC accessibility rules, that is not a safe harbor for the owner from future lawsuits based upon DoJ's application of the Civil Rights legislation.

You may not care but all Recreational facilities, including amusement park rides, are among the facilities required to comply with the ADA.

brudgers said:
What code provisions do you believe require the measures you are suggesting?
Brudgers, I am using 2006 IBC

1103.1 Where required. Sites, buildings, structures, facilities,

elements and spaces, temporary or permanent, shall be accessible

to persons with physical disabilities.

1104.1 Site arrival points. Accessible routes within the site

shall be provided from public transportation stops; accessible

parking; accessible passenger loading zones; and public streets

or sidewalks to the accessible building entrance served.

1104.2 Within a site. At least one accessible route shall connect

accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements

and accessible spaces that are on the same site.

This is a for profit, guided tour. I have classed it as an A5, amusement ride, which is defined under some of our Washington State Laws. the state actually licenses them but doesn't touch the accessibility, leaving it to us.

I am just trying to determine if i need them only to provide access to the start of the "tour", or if any of the "elements" with in need to be accessible as well. if it was one continious line, its a no brainer, but there are multiple lines and when you get off one, you may need to walk, hike, climb rocks, etc, to get to the next portion.

thanks for your advice and opinion.

No, I do care. I am just wondering to what extent it needs to be accessible. My initial plan review called for providing accessible paths between the platforms where you terminate one segement and start another. The applicant is arguing that this would involve bulldozing massive amounts of forest to provide the required level walking surface, and due to the nature of the ride, certain people will not be allowed to ride it.

Similar to a rock climbing wall. We provide access to it, but some people will be unable to use it.

Just looking for opinions. I have erred on the side of making it entirely accessible and now am being asked to reconsider.

thanks to all for advice and opinions.

Let me know where it is and we will send our disabled access friends form DOJ over to file federal lawsuits

By the way, they do go after designers, for designing non-accessible structures.

http://www.ada.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:
1103.1 Where required.
That's the crux of my question.

What specifically requires the zipline to be accessible?

I'm not saying there isn't something.

But until you can put your finger on the specific requirement, you cannot legitimately require accessibility.

In other words, until the zipline must be accessible, no accessible route to it is required...all the way back to transit stops etc.

Other elements of the site may require accessibility, but that does not mean that the ride itself requires it.

You can't ride some roller coasters if you're less than 48" tall.

Using 1103.1

My reading of the commentary further explains this as "this section establishes the principle that all buildings, structures, and their associated sites and facilities are required to be accessible to persons with disabiltites..."

I read the "access board" link that Mark Handler sent, giving plan english language of amusement rides. here is a cut and paste of the highlights: (italicized)

all newly designed, constructed and altered recreation facilities covered by the ADA will be required to comply.

The recreation facility guidelines cover the following facilities and elements:

Amusement rides

Emphasis is placed on ensuring that individuals with disabilities are generally able to access the amusement ride and use a variety of elements. Designers and operators are encouraged to exceed the guidelines where possible to provide increased accessibility and opportunities. Incorporating accessibility into the design of an amusement ride should begin early in the planning process with careful consideration to accessible routes and providing access to rides.

An "amusement ride" is defined by the guidelines as a system that moves people through a fixed course within a defined area for the purpose of amusement.

Exceptions

There are four types of rides that are not covered by the guidelines. However, other ADA requirements still apply. The four types are:

· Rides that do not have seats must only provide an accessible route to the load and unload areas and a turning space in the load and unload area.

This is the first one I have permitted in our jurisdiction and I was looking to see how other jurisdictions have treated them.

righter101 said:
This is the first one I have permitted in our jurisdiction and I was looking to see how other jurisdictions have treated them.
Do you approve stuff because, "They allow it in the next town over?"

The simple comment for the plan review is "Amusement ride load and unload areas not designated."

I don't approve things because they do in other jurisdictions. I am trying to gather info and opinions because I don't want to unnecessarily regulate something I shouldn't or allow something that should be prohibited.

I initially told these folks that they needed to provide an accessible path to the indiviual landing and takeoff points on the tour. They are trying to make a case that they dont, that the "ride" has one start and end point and the stuff along the route doesn't need to be accessible.

It seems like a grey area and I am trying to navigate it best I can and make a proper decision.

thanks.

righter101 said:
I don't approve things because they do in other jurisdictions. I am trying to gather info and opinions because I don't want to unnecessarily regulate something I shouldn't or allow something that should be prohibited.I initially told these folks that they needed to provide an accessible path to the indiviual landing and takeoff points on the tour. They are trying to make a case that they dont, that the "ride" has one start and end point and the stuff along the route doesn't need to be accessible.

It seems like a grey area and I am trying to navigate it best I can and make a proper decision.

thanks.
Seems like if the start is accessible, there is an invitation to start the ride. At that point, are you going to leave someone stranded in the middle of the ride without any ability to get from one landing to the next takeoff?

No.

The middle sections have to be as accessible as the start and the finish.

righter101 said:
I don't approve things because they do in other jurisdictions. I am trying to gather info and opinions because I don't want to unnecessarily regulate something I shouldn't or allow something that should be prohibited.I initially told these folks that they needed to provide an accessible path to the indiviual landing and takeoff points on the tour. They are trying to make a case that they dont, that the "ride" has one start and end point and the stuff along the route doesn't need to be accessible.

thanks.
Does the ride have seats?

If so, are you stretching the definition of "seats?"

I'm just playing the devil's advocate to help you reach that decision.

brudgers said:
Does the ride have seats?If so, are you stretching the definition of "seats?"

I'm just playing the devil's advocate to help you reach that decision.
I thought that meant if the ride had seats, an accessible seat would be required. If the ride didn't have seats, an accessible seat would not be required. However, if a disabled person is capable of riding in the "attachment", then there should be an accessible route to and from (and all along) the ride. It is too easy to get caught up in thinking of a person in a wheelchair, when actually there are other disabilities to consider (like sight impaired) that could easily enjoy rides.

Based on the information posted, accessibility between loading and unloading points is only required if the ride has seats.

brudgers said:
Based on the information posted, accessibility between loading and unloading points is only required if the ride has seats.
In reading the access-board.gov info for amusement rides, I found this language,

Exceptions

There are four types of rides that are not covered by the guidelines. However, other ADA requirements still apply. The four types are:

1,2,3 omitted by me...

#4=

Rides that do not have seats must only provide an accessible route to the load and unload areas and a turning space in the load and unload area.

So, using this as a guide, i would consider the zip tour to not have seats, thus requiring accessible route to the load and unload areas as the requirement. in this case, there happens to be multiple points, which is the bone of contention from the owners.

I think I was initially correct, but they are asking to have the decision reconsidered. I just wanted to get all the information I could and make the correct decision.

Thanks for all the input from you guys. I appreciate this forum and being able to get pov's from those quite well versed in the building codes.

On what basis are you determining that the zipline is several rides rather than one?

Can a person normally start at a middle station rather than the first?

Can a person normally exit at a middle station rather than the last?

Is accessboard.gov incorporated into your local code by reference?

brudgers said:
On what basis are you determining that the zipline is several rides rather than one?Can a person normally start at a middle station rather than the first?

Can a person normally exit at a middle station rather than the last?

Is accessboard.gov incorporated into your local code by reference?
The several rides vs. 1 is the crux of the issue and I am still working to make that determination. You would not be allowed to come to the tour and say just go on line 4. You could exit at a middle station rather than the last one.

Our local codes have not adopted specifically the accessboard.gov. I am using that to gain information and insight in to this situation.

Setting aside the accessboard guidance, I still can revert back to IBC 1103.1

In which case they would need to make the entire setup accessible. The accessboard gave some specific guidance not found in the building code as it pertains to amusement rides. However, the listed building code exceptions do not cover this. That is why I have put this question out for comment.

The question of if this is a single "facility" or "element", or if it is multiple "elements" is a gray area that could be succesfully argued by either side.

Continued input is appreciated.

If you make the beginning and the end accessible, you have to make the whole thing accessible. If it is common to get off at a stop in-between then you also need an accessible route to leave the ride and go back to the base. They do not want a handicap person trying to find their way over a rugged path from one section to the next section.

righter101 said:
The several rides vs. 1 is the crux of the issue and I am still working to make that determination. You would not be allowed to come to the tour and say just go on line 4. You could exit at a middle station rather than the last one.Our local codes have not adopted specifically the accessboard.gov. I am using that to gain information and insight in to this situation.

Setting aside the accessboard guidance, I still can revert back to IBC 1103.1

In which case they would need to make the entire setup accessible. The accessboard gave some specific guidance not found in the building code as it pertains to amusement rides. However, the listed building code exceptions do not cover this. That is why I have put this question out for comment.

The question of if this is a single "facility" or "element", or if it is multiple "elements" is a gray area that could be succesfully argued by either side.

Continued input is appreciated.
If you can't point specifically to something in the code that requires it, then it's not required.

I believe, based on the indicated site constraints, that a strong case could be made for technically infeasable in this instance. If the site would require that much physical alteration it would also be an environmental review nightmare to make it accessible.

As far as a Code Section, it has been quoted.

1104.2 Within a site. At least one accessible route shall connect

accessible buildings, accessible facilities, accessible elements

and accessible spaces that are on the same site.

IMHO, in regard to the quandry, there is a zipline element, followed by an overland element, followed by a zipline element, etc.

How would the wheelchair get from one end to the other?