• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessibility in a barber shop

Sifu

SAWHORSE
I searched but couldn't find any specifics regarding barber chairs. I have a barber shop with multiple fixed chairs with hair washing sinks behind them. Other than a requirement for IBC 1109.11 which requires 5% of seating at at tables, counters and work surfaces to be accessible, I can't locate any specific requirements that would say there must be an open station for wheelchair placement or an accessible set up (chair and sink). I'm not sure what an accessible barber/hair washing station would look like. Anybody know of anything more specific?

I'd say that most barber chairs would allow for transfer of someone requiring accommodation. Once they transfer to the chair, the chair can be raised/lowered to allow for the use of the hair washing sink. So, from a patron use, I do not see a requirement much more than the typical accessible route and restroom.

From an employee standpoint, I'd say that the stations are an employee work area, thus 1103.2.2 applies (below). If a stylist/barber were hired, and they required a lower sink, counter, or other accommodation, then they can request that the employer provide pursuant to the ADA as a reasonable request for accomodation.

1103.2.2 Employee Work Areas
Spaces and elements within employee work areas shall only be required to comply with Sections 907.5.2.3.1, 1009 and 1104.3.1 and shall be designed and constructed so that individuals with disabilities can approach, enter and exit the work area. Work areas, or portions of work areas, other than raised courtroom stations in accordance with Section 1108.4.1.4, that are less than 300 square feet (30 m2) in area and located 7 inches (178 mm) or more above or below the ground or finished floor where the change in elevation is essential to the function of the space shall be exempt from all requirements.

If you are worried, you could show the accessible route and a clear floor space adjacent to the barber chair for side transfer.

I have the accessible route, spaces and toilet facilities, just didn't know if there was any specific requirement for the chairs/sinks, or if there should be a space where the services must provided while in their own chair. I can't find anything that requires it so I am moving on.

% % ~ % %

SiFu, ...just out of curiosity, if a WC customer were to come in to a
Barber \ Salon for a hair washing \ then a cut, ...do their WC's tilt
back to allow their heads in to a wash basin ?

% % ~ % %

I think they make an ADA barber chair, do that goggle thing!

When I was a youngster, the barber had me sit on a couple of yellow books and he said if I didn't stop wiggling he'd cut my ear off and Id look like Van Gogh? Of course I had to turn around and say who? Then he put that red goop on my hair, tiger paw or something, you could land a huey on my head it was just like sgt. Carter's cut!

Shazam!

I'd say that most barber chairs would allow for transfer of someone requiring accommodation. Once they transfer to the chair, the chair can be raised/lowered to allow for the use of the hair washing sink. So, from a patron use, I do not see a requirement much more than the typical accessible route and restroom.
I don't know what kind of barbiturates they have around your area but most of the ones I've seen around here there is no way that somebody who was truly disabled transferring to them! They don't go low enough and many of them have the arms fixed so they can't be raised!

There are innovations in accessible wheelchair barber chairs.
In terms of code access compliance, I believe the purpose of the chair is not to help the public / customer complete their part of the business transaction. It is to make it easier for the barber / business to conduct their own work.
To put it another way, the chair is a tool/component of the employee's workstation, and those components are not required to be accessible.

If a barber shop does not have an accessible chair, the barber (not the customer) will have to be the one bending down in order to do their work.

Regarding hair washing, even if the wash station was at an accessible height, there's no guarantee that the mobility impaired person is able to lean backward and have appropriate head support. Again, it is the responsibility of the barber to figure out how they will achieve the goal of getting their client's hair clean.

1656462763063.png

I did do the google thing and found accessible barber chairs, but even google couldn't point me to a requirement for them. The general theme seems to be to provide them as a good idea to meet the needs of their customers. As Yikes points out, I found several stories of barbers making accommodations to get the job done, but I still can't find any language that requires accessible chairs, or even a space without a chair to provide a station for a CW customer. And while the head shampoo sinks are at 34", I too wonder how much good that would do.

% % ~ % %

SiFu, ...just out of curiosity, if a WC customer were to come in to a
Barber \ Salon for a hair washing \ then a cut, ...do their WC's tilt
back to allow their heads in to a wash basin ?

% % ~ % %
I imagine all chairs used for this purpose tilt, however whether they would be able to accommodate a WC customer is doubtful. But I don't see any requirement for them anywhere. I am also suspect about "ADA compliant" barber chairs. Like so many products out there that claim "ADA compliance" I wonder what standard is used to make that determination.

I don't know what kind of barbiturates they have around your area but most of the ones I've seen around here there is no way that somebody who was truly disabled transferring to them! They don't go low enough and many of them have the arms fixed so they can't be raised!

They now require diaper changing and exam tables, the intent is to provide equivalent services.

The chair in a video would not work for many with disabilities because you cannot use a sliding board to get to it and someone that can't use their arms, unlike the person in the video, could not transfer into that chair

I am surprised that nobody has mentioned the safe harbor exception provided by 2010 ADA 36.305(b). If the barber/beautician is willing to provide home service, then the barber/beautician will give a shave and a haircut in the comfort of the WC residence. No other special accommodations required except maybe a sign on the front door with a phone number and statement about services being made available to those with disabilities.

They now require diaper changing and exam tables, the intent is to provide equivalent services.
The goal is equivalent service, not equivalent furniture. The barber chair is merely another "tool of the trade".
If a barber/stylist can successfully provide their service to a person in a wheelchair, then the barber chair and fancy sink are irrelevant.