• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Parking or Not?

I don't see that as being compliant for several reasons. The 1st as you pointed out that should be over next to the curb of the building instead of where they are. The 2nd is because they don't have the Req spacing for a ramp van to put the ramp down.

IBC 2021:

1106.7 Location. Accessible parking spaces shall be located
on the shortest accessible route of travel from adjacent parking
to an accessible building entrance. In parking facilities that do
not serve a particular building, accessible parking spaces shall
be located on the shortest route to an accessible pedestrian
entrance to the parking facility. Where buildings have multiple
accessible entrances with adjacent parking, accessible parking
spaces shall be dispersed and located near the accessible

entrances.
Exceptions:

1. In multilevel parking structures, van-accessible
parking spaces are permitted on one level.
2. Accessible parking spaces shall be permitted to be
located in different parking facilities if substantially
equivalent or greater accessibility is provided in
terms of distance from an accessible entrance or
entrances, parking fee and user convenience.

It's a bit of a judgment call but IMHO it's clear that those two spaces are not as close to the building as they could be, so it's a violation.

Going beyond that, it seems to have disappeared from the codes, from A117.1, and from the ADAAG but in the very early days of the ADA, there was a requirement that the route from an accessible parking space to the accessible building entrance(s) could not cross a vehicular traffic way. I can't prove it, but I suspect that a number of deep pocket developers convinced their representatives in Washington that the requirement was unreasonable and would cost them too much money.

I can't prove it, but I suspect that a number of deep pocket developers convinced their representatives in Washington that the requirement was unreasonable and would cost them too much money.
Or it was a conflict with the fire codes and how a local fire department will attack a fire in a specific facility. Also the closest spot is not necessarily the easiest spot for a person to navigate due to the elevation changes within the parking lot. The world is not flat and therefore alternatives are sometimes needed.
FIRE APPARATUS ACCESS ROAD. A road that provides fire apparatus access from a fire station to a facility, building or portion thereof. This is a general term inclusive of all other terms such as fire lane, public street, private street, parking lot lane and access roadway.

I agree the video depicts a non-compliant parking accessible space

IBC 2021:

It's a bit of a judgment call but IMHO it's clear that those two spaces are not as close to the building as they could be, so it's a violation.

Going beyond that, it seems to have disappeared from the codes, from A117.1, and from the ADAAG but in the very early days of the ADA, there was a requirement that the route from an accessible parking space to the accessible building entrance(s) could not cross a vehicular traffic way. I can't prove it, but I suspect that a number of deep pocket developers convinced their representatives in Washington that the requirement was unreasonable and would cost them too much money.

In California, we've added to the ADAS model language to prohibit travel from an accessible stall behind other parked cars.
Apparently the concern is that a person in a wheelchair won't be seen in a rearview mirror and could get run over by someone backing out of a parking space. However, there's nothing that prohibits a (non-parking) POT from the public right of way from going down the middle of a driveway, as long as it's properly marked.

And there's no prohibition from crossing a vehicular way to get to an entrance.