• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Parking Signs

globe trekker

According to the 2010 ADA Standards, ..are vertical parking signs required on

Accessible parking spaces, ..just the pavement marking type or both?

Thanks!

You cannot see the one on the ground if a car is parked over it. ADA requires the vertical sign at a specified height above the ground. I think it is 60-inches to the bottom of the sign. I have not found in the ADA or ANSI A117.1 where it requires the graphic symbol one on the ground. That maybe a local requirement.

2010 ADASAD

502.6 Identification. Parking space identification signs shall include the International Symbol of Accessibility complying with 703.7.2.1. Signs identifying van parking spaces shall contain the designation “van accessible.” Signs shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum above the finish floor or ground surface measured to the bottom of the sign.

Advisory 502.6 Identification. The required “van accessible” designation is intended to be informative, not restrictive, in identifying those spaces that are better suited for van use. Enforcement of motor vehicle laws, including parking privileges, is a local matter.

502.6 Identification. Parking space identification signs shall include the International Symbol of Accessibility complying with 703.7.2.1. Signs identifying van parking spaces shall contain the designation "van accessible." Signs shall be 60 inches (1525 mm) minimum above the finish floor or ground surface measured to the bottom of the sign

Now I am not sure the ground marking is reqiured.

Last edited by a moderator:
mtlogcabin said:
None The requirement does not exist in the ANSI or ADA reg's
Some states that have amended the access requirements still require it; but, as stated, not specified in the IBC, A117.1 or ADAAG

Much thanks to you all for this enlightening discussion and listed code

requirements & sections.

How would the requirements of Section 1110.1 in the 2006 IBC be met (Accessible passenger

loading zones) if nothing is required on the pavement, ...mark the Access aisle only? :confused:

SECTION 1110 - SIGNAGE:

1110.1 Signs.

Required accessible elements shall be identified by the International Symbol of Accessibility at the

following locations:

1. Accessible parking spaces required by :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_11_sec006.htm')'>Section 1106.1 except where the total number of

parking spaces provided is four or less.

2. Accessible passenger loading zones.

Accessible areas of refuge required by :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_10_sec007_par007.htm')'>Section 1007.6.

4. Accessible rooms where multiple single-user toilet or bathing rooms are clustered at asingle

location.

5. Accessible entrances where not all entrances are accessible.

6. Accessible check-out aisles where not all aisles are accessible. The sign, where provided, shall

be above the check-out aisle in the same location as the check-out aisle number or type of check-out identification.

7. Unisex toilet and bathing rooms.

8. Accessible dressing, fitting and locker rooms where not all such rooms are accessible.

Also, refer to Section 502.3 - Access aisle, in the 2010 ADA Standards.

ANSI A.117.1

502.4.4 Marking.

Access aisles shall be marked so as to discourage parking in them. Where access aisles are marked with lines, the width measurements of access aisles and adjacent parking spaces shall be made from the centerline of the markings.

503.3 Access Aisle.

Passenger loading zones shall have an adjacent access aisle complying with Section 503.3.

503.3.4 Marking.

Access aisles shall be marked so as to discourage parking in them.

trekker

In most States, The ISA is not required in the stall. There is a requirement to provide a sign at the "head" of the stall. And marking out the loading zone, But not in the stall.

Thanks again Mark & mtlogcabin (and others)! I am trying to get a

correct interpretation on what is actually "required" vs. what is

typically done on Accessible parking. We have a new restaurant

being constructed and they are asking for guidance.

I also did not see any requirements for a specific type of coloring

scheme on the Access aisle. Why is the ADA blue typically used,

..to match the Federal highway ADA signs?

globe trekker said:
How would the requirements of Section 1110.1 in the 2006 IBC be met (Accessible passengerloading zones) if nothing is required on the pavement, ...mark the Access aisle only? :confused:
Yes, we require a marking for the access aisle in loading zones and a vertical sign indicating where in each 100 linear feet the accessible zone is located (this is usually located in the landscaping across from the sidewalk or in some cases at the curb line. In our experience, the international symbol on the pavement does little to indicate location when it is snowing, or when another vehicle is parked over it.

Thanks Papio! IMO, I believe that a significant number of people (`round these

parts anyway), have become very accustomed to / mentally programmed to look

for the pavement marking, ADA blue color scheme. Previously, we have not

required / been installing any vertical signs at each parking space. I reckon

that more changes are a coming huh?

globe trekker said:
I also did not see any requirements for a specific type of coloring

scheme on the Access aisle. Why is the ADA blue typically used,

..to match the Federal highway ADA signs?
Aisle Advisory 502.3.3 Marking. The method and color of marking are not specified by these requirements but may be addressed by State or local laws or regulations. Because these requirements permit the van access aisle to be as wide as a parking space, it is important that the aisle be clearly marked.

globe trekker said:
Previously, we have notrequired / been installing any vertical signs at each parking space. I reckon

that more changes are a coming huh?
Are Police Department will not ticket vehicles if the parking stall is not properly marked for accessible parking.

"Was there" a requirement for the pretty ADA blue color scheme from somewhere?

Your "properly marked" would be the vertical signage AND the Access aisle only,

but not the outside edges of the parking space itself?

globe trekker said:
"Was there" a requirement for the pretty ADA blue color scheme from somewhere?
Our Design Standards specify a contrasting color. While white works well on blacktop, it does not work so well on concrete, where yellow and blue are common colors used.

You are not authorized to go home early, ..regardless of mental condition. :D

Thank you for the input & banter!