• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Accessible Parking Signs

globe trekker said:
"Was there" a requirement for the pretty ADA blue color scheme from somewhere?Your "properly marked" would be the vertical signage AND the Access aisle only,

but not the outside edges of the parking space itself?
2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

Advisory 502.3.3 Marking. The method and color of marking are not specified by these requirements but may be addressed by State or local laws or regulations.

Dear SOB,

I am GBHammer's doctor familiaris. GBhammer has contracted conjunctivitis of the code eye. I am hereby prescribing he take the remainder of the day to recover fully from his ailment and in order to protect his co-workers from contagion.

Thank You,

Dr. Papio

Vertical parking signs for accessible stalls has been required for many years.

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Dear SOB,I am GBHammer's doctor familiaris. GBhammer has contracted conjunctivitis of the code eye. I am hereby prescribing he take the remainder of the day to recover fully from his ailment and in order to protect his co-workers from contagion.

Thank You,

Dr. Papio
Dear SOB,

I am Dr. Hammer Headshrinker extraordinaire. Your employee has through his own admission had a mental lapse. I am hereby prescribing he take the remainder of the day to recover fully from his mental incontinence and in order to protect his co-workers from any possible embarrassment.

Thank You,

Dr. Hammer

From the 2003 ANSI A117.1 - 502.3 Vehicle Space Marking.

Car and van parking spaces shall be marked to define the width. Where parking spaces

are marked with lines, the width measurements of parking spaces and adjacent access

aisles shall be made from the centerline of the markings.

EXCEPTION: Where parking spaces or access aisles are not adjacent to another parking

space or access aisle, measurements shall be permitted to include the full width of the

line defining the parking space or access aisle.

globe trekker said:
From the 2003 ANSI A117.1 - 502.3 Vehicle Space Marking.Car and van parking spaces shall be marked to define the width. Where parking spaces

are marked with lines, the width measurements of parking spaces and adjacent access

aisles shall be made from the centerline of the markings.

EXCEPTION: Where parking spaces or access aisles are not adjacent to another parking

space or access aisle, measurements shall be permitted to include the full width of the

line defining the parking space or access aisle.
Still does not require the ISA marking or the "blue" stripping... They just make it easier to see for the blind drivers....

%7BD8CA7856-040C-47CC-AA65-D456CD3C19AC%7D.GIF

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Are Police Department will not ticket vehicles if the parking stall is not properly marked for accessible parking.
Even with the Accessible Parking signage a vehicle cannot be fined or towed unless such warning is posted in plain sight.

francis vineyard said:
even with the accessible parking signage a vehicle cannot be fined or towed unless such warning is posted in plain sight.
That is what the signs are for

Thanks Mark for the input!

Section 502.3, in the ANSI A117.1 would require a defined space to be legibly

marked though! ( i.e - they would have to define / mark the spaces , with

lines or a solid rectangular marking, ..yes? ).

Some type of markings, presumably similar in nature, to the nationally

recognized color of blue, would be "required" <--- ?? on the parking space

sides...

Francis Vineyard said:
Even with the Accessible Parking signage a vehicle cannot be fined or towed unless such warning is posted in plain sight.
About a year ago the courts ruled the statue number and the amount of the fine had to be posted on the HC sign in order to enforce the penalties. We been placing stickers on the HC signs ever since.

The method and color of marking are not specified by these requirements but may be addressed by State or local laws or regulations.

globe trekker said:
Thanks Mark for the input!Section 502.3, in the ANSI A117.1 would require a defined space to be legibly

sides...
The method and color of marking may be addressed by State or local laws or regulations.

globe trekker said:
Thanks Mark for the input!Section 502.3, in the ANSI A117.1 would require a defined space to be legibly

sides...
pavement markings are only required to designate the width of the parking stall and differentiate the access aisle from adjacent parking stalls...Identification of the parking stalls occurs in 502.7, and are met by a vertical sign provision/requirement in compliance with 703.6.1 for Symbols. Colors are not specified in the ANSI beyond glare finish and contrasting the symbol with the background (light/dark), and are typically left to the discretion of the AHJ if specified at all.

The method and color of marking are not specified by these requirements but may be addressed by State or local laws or regulations.

To all;

Please forgive my continuing to "flog this severely beaten horse", but I want to

understand clearly the parking space marking requirements.

Does Section 502.3, in the 2003 ANSI A117.1, "require" that both sides of an

Accessible parking space be marked / painted (i.e. - if the parking space is

striped, are both sides required to be painted / striped or only one side next

to the Access aisle?) The language in Section 502.3 states that the "space

shall be marked to define width".. how is this accomplished?

Thanks for ya'lls patience & indulgence.

An access aisle is only required on one side of a parking stall. the parking stall may be striped in the same manner as non-accessible stalls, however the designated area for the access aisle shall be clearly demarcated to discourage/prevent parking (i.e., the typical hatch pattern).

Fridays are as good a day for flogging as any. Speaking of which I need to track down some Molly.

globe trekker said:
To all;Please forgive my continuing to "flog this severely beaten horse", but I want to

understand clearly the parking space marking requirements.

Does Section 502.3, in the 2003 ANSI A117.1, "require" that both sides of an Accessible parking space be marked / painted (i.e. - if the parking space is striped, are both sides required to be painted / striped or only one side next to the Access aisle?) The language in Section 502.3 states that the "space shall be marked to define width".. how is this accomplished?Thanks for ya'lls patience & indulgence.
ANSI A117 502.3 Vehicle Space Marking. Car and van parking spaces shall be marked to define the width. Where parking spaces are marked with lines, the width measurements of parking spaces and adjacent access aisles shall be made from the centerline of the markings. EXCEPTION: Where parking spaces or access aisles are not adjacent to another parking space or access aisle, measurements shall be permitted to include the full width of the line defining the parking space or access aisle.
WHERE parking spaces are marked with lines...

So no those that follow ANSI A117, "both sides" are not required to be painted.... But something must define the space, could be a planter.....

GBrackins said:
gotta love the justice system ... never seen the statue on a speed limit sign, wonder if I can use that arguement
Did some checking into why and it was because the parking is on private property.