• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ADA Handrail - Intermediate Balusters?

Kendra

GREENHORN
I am doing an ADA ramp outside a business in suburban PA. The ramp is 1:12 and only 11.5" high. it appears that section 505 of ADA does not require balusters/intermediate posts on a ramp handrail. I know it it required by code for guardrails, which this is not, but I wanted to make sure I am not missing something. I have attached a sketch for better understanding.

Thank you,
Kendra

Attachments

I believe you need 12-inch handgrip extensions at the top and bottom of the ramp to meet ADA, check 505.10.1.

You may also want to design a lower wheel bar guard which will provide a some more rigidity.

Kendra,

Not sure what material you are using, but support post spacing on standard steel and stainless steel max out at about 50-inches centerline to meet the PA adopted IBC, so I have doubts that the design meets section 1607.7 for loads.

As noted by IG, needs edge protection, that does not have to be part of the handrail, could be something else, but you need something.

Also check that your handrail extensions are a minimum of 12" to the inside edge of the handrail before turning down with your termination posts, not over all, 12 plus the material.

As to ADA, ADA has no guard requirements for ramps, that will be in the PA IBC and the ramp is not over 30-inches, thus no guards required.

It would be nice to see a plan view of the layout to confirm my notes, but also remember both sides need handrails.

semantics. a smooth edge is required to prevent a wheel from incurring obstacles and/or falling off an edge

Edge protection (curb, extended width, or bottom rail) also serves to keep somebody's cane or crutches from accidentally going over the edge if they are held at an angle.

Back