1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

ADA Table 703.5.5 Visual Character Height - H/C parking sign

Discussion in 'Accessibility' started by Stone Bow Studios, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Stone Bow Studios

Stone Bow Studios Registered User

I am trying to interpret the 703.5.5 table for text height for accessible parking signage. I am working on an ADA study and the custom / a-typical signage has small text - Unless the horizontal distance can be close to the sign. By identifying the text as non-compliant, I need to be able to point to why.

What horizontal distance should I use? I'm looking at the 21 feet but only because it's listed on the table. The text ht should be in the 40 - 70 inch range above ground & @ 21 feet, the minimum character ht should be 2 1/2 inches. ( The text may end up above the 70 inch range - especially with the Van Accessible sign )

With a sign mounting ht of 60 inches, I've read a guide that indicates this ht is set in order to allow the sign to be seen even while a car is parked in the space, does this mean that the intended horizontal distance is beyond the length of the parking space? If so, 21 feet would be the minimum and then only where the driver side of the vehicle is on the side of the parking.

There must be a better guide than picking an arbitrary distance to select a text height.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. Builder Bob

Builder Bob Sawhorse

Interesting, what if my accessible modified van was parked in the van accessible space, does that mean my sign has to be 14 feet in the air to be seen with my van there? Do I need to place another sign at 60" on the same post when the spot is empty?

Sorry, I get a little put off at times when 5 % of the population is regulating what 95% has to do in construction......No different than the POTUS mandating a wall................. that has severe flaws and is easily penetrable....