• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Advice for a potential Architect

If you were preparing for a career as a licensed architect, or were going to advise someone who was--

the Code books are expensive--would you recommend they purchase and study from whatever the "latest" IBC is, for example,
or whatever version is being used by their local City or County building departments? etc.

Especially if this preparation is for anticipated "regular" work they will be doing, either commercially, for clients, or in residential work.
Any advice or guidance is much appreciated, thank you.

I like being a member at ICC and subscribing to their digital service - all the codes and at least several different editions of each, with additional explanatory material. And they're improving it all the time. I think it's a bargain, but ymmv. Any one hardcopy edition is only 3 years and working in different jurisdictions probably means having different editions.

Part of the code book learning curve is knowing where to look for the answer, and how to interpret the code and the exceptions. Once you dothat in any recent code book, transitioning to a newer version is relatively easy.

You can also look at https://up.codes/ for the US codes - different states and different cities as applicable (ie. LA and SF). However, nothing is better than working in an office and gaining experience with real-world projects. Take every manufacturer given lunch and learn you can, and any webinars on accessibility and/or code changes.

Above all, make SURE this is the profession you really want to be in for the next 30/40/50/60 years - knowing that whatever code requirements and laws that are in place now will be further tightened and expanded that you'll have to deal with.

Good luck!

There is no better resource than the free website, other than also signing up for premium access:

You are putting the cart before the horse. If somebody is contemplating a career in Architecture go to a school of architecture where you will understand what architecture is about and you will take some coursework in a number of topics. During these courses you will be introduced to some of the standards that serve as the basis of the codes. The intent is to give you background on the issues and on things not stated explicitly in the code. The standards in the code do not provide the background you will need.

It is when you start work in an architect's office that you will focus more on the codes. The Architect will focus on certain parts of the code. For example if you work on projects with a structural consultant taking care of the structural issues you will only need a basic understanding of the structural codes.

Even if the office has a copy of the building code that you can use, you should but a personal copy of the primary codes that you use. Buy hard copy versions of the code or obtain an electronic copy that you wil still have access to in 30 to 40 years.

Knowlege of the codes is important but there is a lot more you need to know.

I like being a member at ICC and subscribing to their digital service - all the codes and at least several different editions of each, with additional explanatory material. And they're improving it all the time. I think it's a bargain, but ymmv. Any one hardcopy edition is only 3 years and working in different jurisdictions probably means having different editions.
Thank you.

You can also look at https://up.codes/ for the US codes - different states and different cities as applicable (ie. LA and SF). However, nothing is better than working in an office and gaining experience with real-world projects. Take every manufacturer given lunch and learn you can, and any webinars on accessibility and/or code changes.

Above all, make SURE this is the profession you really want to be in for the next 30/40/50/60 years - knowing that whatever code requirements and laws that are in place now will be further tightened and expanded that you'll have to deal with.

Good luck!
Thank you.

Even if the office has a copy of the building code that you can use, you should buy a personal copy of the primary codes that you use. Buy hard copy versions of the code or obtain an electronic copy that you wil still have access to in 30 to 40 years.
That answered his question.

I'm old but I have to think searchable electronic editions of the code are the best way to go today. The ability to find things quickly, have many editions of all the codes, and to annotate and copy and paste, all in the palm of you hand - just to convenient.

And if you're really crazy like me, you will get involved in code development, through committe membership and attending code hearings. Education like no other. Being on first name basis with staff and other leaders is very beneficial.

From my own experience as an intern and then architect, I remember not being able to develop any real understanding of the code without applying it to projects or examples. As a textbook, the code isn’t useful from the aspiring architect’s viewpoint. A better resource for developing a design professional’s understanding of the building code is more likely something like Francis Ching’s book Building Codes Illustrated. We need some instruction on the intent and application for it to sink in.