• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aerial Fire Apparatus Access Roads Proximity to Building

habeason

2015 IFC Section D105.3

Proximity to building
. At least one of the required
access routes meeting this condition shall be located within a
minimum of 15 feet (4572 mm) and a maximum of 30 feet
(9144 mm) from the building, and shall be positioned parallel
to one entire side of the building. The side of the building on
which the aerial fire apparatus access road is positioned shall
be approved by the fire code official.

Does the entire side of the Building have to be in the distances specified?

Before going any further, verify that Appendix D is adopted by the jurisdiction. If not, then this discussion is moot and you are free to do what you wish within the parameters of IFC Chapter 5.

If Appendix D is adopted, then, yes, the access route would be required to be within the prescribed distances for the entire side of the building.

Depending on the building type, occupancy and local AHJ they may Req 2 sides to be accessible and replace other requirements if the building contains happiness materials.

I have an R-2 occupancy Type VA, 13R , three story apartment building. Most of the building is within the 30 foot maximum distance but some of it (35%) is a few feet outside. My parking spaces are 19 feet deep, then I have a 5 foot sidewalk, and this leaves 6 feet for AC units and the Landscaping. We have a meeting with the reviewer next week. Thank you, everyone.

60,000sf 32' ht single story building encircled by 26' wide fire-lane w/edge 24' away from structure. The provided firelane entry is @ street ROW. Fire department wants another 452'lf access road @ street ROW 90' away from the structure running parrallel to a provided fire lane. This additional reqested road connects to the provided fire lane encircling at the rear of structure. D105 is the referenced IFC requirement.

This all depends on the neighbor! agreeing to an access easment. I interpret D 105 is not applicable as project complies with all IFC access road requirements. Any disagreement?

Would be hard to find any neighbor to accept the reponsibility of an easement for fire lane. Believe IFC does not require ameanable neighbors for building permit.

Does the IFC or NFPA codes ever require 2 fire apparatus access points (2 entry drives @property boundary) to a property for buildings over 32' ht? Or does the IFC or NFPA require 2 FIRE APPARATUS ACCESS ROADS. I interpret a rectangle property with 1 boundary adjacent to ROW with 1 entry drive @ROW that leads to 1 APPARATUS ACCESS ROAD on each side of the building (2 total, properly spaced) complies with IFC. Does this comply with NFPA?