• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air gap btwn conc planter wall / wood framed wall behind it?

Yikes

Gold Member
I 'm designing a new apartment project with raised poured-in-place concrete planters immediately adjacent to the wood-framed exterior wall of the apartment.
I first thought about simply building the wood apartment wall on top of he planter stem wall, but then I would need to furr-out on the inside of the bedroom for insulation, losing valuable floor space.
I'm not looking at doing a double-wall, where the wood-framed apartment wall extends down to slab-on-grade, and there is a second, separate raised planter wall next to it.

Question: years ago I remember something in the code saying I had to separate these 2 walls with a 2" air gap. Is that still in the code?
All I could find was a requirement in IBC 2304.12.1.3 to keep untreated wood walls out of "direct contact" with the raised concrete planter, with no specific gap measurement mentioned:
upload_2019-9-13_11-56-36.png

steveray, maybe that's the way to go. I still would have to work on the constructability of it. I.e., if it is a one-hour wood framed wall, do I need to build the foundaion, then the wall, lath-and plaster it, then re-mobilize the concrete sub to build the planter wall next to it? Or is there a way to stop the plaster short of the planter and have the planter wall itself become part of the one-hour assembly?

so many questions...