• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air Handler Required to be Shut Down when Kitchen Hood ANSUL System is Activated?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
We understand the exhaust and makeup air requirements during a fire event when the ANSUL system is activated (NFPA 96) under the IMC. However, are there any codes that require the nearest air handler to be shut down?

Interesting question I have to say no typically but if make-up is coming from adjoining space I would think it would be part of the shut down

How would an air handler suppling conditioned air to a kitchen interfere with the operation of an ANSUL system installed in a Type I hood?

I was thinking there used to be something in the code that permitted make-up air to be supplied from the HVAC system in the building rather than a make-up air unit. I've never seen it proposed or inspected something like that though.
The only issue with air movement is shutting down the make-up air and continuing to exhaust when ANSUL is discharging

Do the listing or the manufacturer's instructions say to shut down all sources of makeup air? NFPA 96 par. 8.3.2 only requires makeup air supplied internally through the hood to be shut down.

This video is a demo. Looks like there might not be a hood...but if there is a hood it is far away from the fire. I know a guy that was preparing to dismantle an ansul system when an idiot set it off. Damn near resulted in two fatalities.