• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Air test plastic DWV

ICE

Oh Well
Brought to you by mtlogcabin.

Air testing PVC, CPVC, and ABS is not allowed under any circumstances.

See the video:

I amended that required test out a long time ago when I saw a yahoo release a fernco cap under pressure and it about took his eyeball. I felt so bad I told the GC "that's it, not doing that anymore!"

The water test in a 10ft head pipe just about as asinine as testing with air, got to drag a stepladder up three flights of stairs, then go get the garden house, then the plumber's caps leak. Then they forget to cap the tub or don't glue the shower drain, what a waste of a day. Ooh, they changed the code lowering the pipe, thanks bunches!

In my neck of the woods which is endless summer, it is strictly water test with head pressure. In PA I saw a lot of air pressure but at low pressures.

Bit of information, if you research cast iron, copper, glass and other plumbing pipe manufacturers and standards you will discover they will tell you not to test with air alone. Some will allow a hydrostatic test.

Another bit of information; most of the caps used for testing are only listed for 4 psi, so doing a test with greater than 10 ft of head exceeds the listing of the caps.

Bit of information, if you research cast iron, copper, glass and other plumbing pipe manufacturers and standards you will discover they will tell you not to test with air alone. Some will allow a hydrostatic test.

Another bit of information; most of the caps used for testing are only listed for 4 psi, so doing a test with greater than 10 ft of head exceeds the listing of the caps.
From Charlotte Pipe:

1694198351707.png

The purple glue requirement got a little testy, the plumb guys wanted to use blue glue, and the brand I did research on claimed that it did not need primer.

It's rough out here, a lot of itchin, bitchin and trickin goin on!