• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Rough DWV Vacuum Test

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Who here uses the vacuum method for testing?

P2503.5Drain, waste and vent systems testing.​

Rough-in and finished plumbing installations of drain, waste and vent systems shall be tested in accordance with Sections P2503.5.1 and P2503.5.2.

P2503.5.1Rough plumbing.​

DWV systems shall be tested on completion of the rough piping installation by water, air for piping systems other than plastic, or by a vacuum of air for plastic piping systems, without evidence of leakage. The test shall be applied to the drainage system in its entirety or in sections after rough-in piping has been installed, as follows:
  1. 1.Water test. Each section shall be filled with water to a point not less than 5 feet (1524 mm) above the highest fitting connection in that section, or to the highest point in the completed system. Water shall be held in the section under test for a period of 15 minutes. The system shall prove leak free by visual inspection.
  2. 2.Air test. The portion under test shall be maintained at a gauge pressure of 5 pounds per square inch (psi) (34 kPa) or 10 inches of mercury column (34 kPa). This pressure shall be held without introduction of additional air for a period of 15 minutes.
  3. 3.Vacuum Test. The portion under test shall be evacuated of air by a vacuum type pump to achieve a uniform gauge pressure of -5 pounds per square inch or a negative 10-inches of mercury column (-34 kPa). This pressure shall be held without the removal of additional air for a period of 15 minutes.

I've offered it before (during freezing weather), but never had someone elect to go forward with it.

Never even been asked about it.

I know of one AHJ that has amended the code to allow air testing of plastic pipe. I know of several who allow it "under the radar".

Kind of like the peppermint test for final...Doesn't happen...

Peppermint test. Introduce 2 ounces (59 mL) of oil of peppermint into the system. Add 10 quarts (9464 mL) of hot water and seal the vent terminals. The odor of peppermint shall not be detected at any trap or other point in the system.

I had a group of plumbers that typically work in small towns without much in the way of code enforcement installing the plumbing for a popular convenience store they were putting in in our jurisdiction.

When I showed up for the water test on the underground, they informed me that the water test was ready with 10' of head pressure - and not to worry, they had already air tested it before I showed up and there were no leaks. Apparently they didn't trust the water test to reveal the leaks in their system. They were entirely serious.

Nice guys, did good work, water test was correct and it passed... I did tell them it's dangerous to air test, but I doubt they cared.

I would like to know what pressure they were running to make the PVC pipe blow apart in the video.

Charlotte Pipe says not to use PVC, ABS, or CPVC pipe to transport or store gas or compressed air. They also say not to test with compressed air. And to ruin life outside the plumbing industry, they issue this warning "To reduce the risk of death, serious injury, or property damage from explosion, never use with compressed air devices such as SPUD GUNS, FLAMETHROWERS, BAIT CANNONS, or COMPRESSED AIR GUNS. Always use only for fluid handling/plumbing applications."

$ ~ $ ~ $

Mech, ...the legal beagles for the pvc manufacturing industry
requires the language to be distributed with their products.
Why you may ask !.........Because there are people out there
who will try anything with pvc...........Ever hear the statement of

"Hey y'all watch this !"..........When their attempted stunt goes
wrong, then they want to blame the manufacturer and a lawsuit
ensues.

$ ~ $ ~ $

north star - On one of the car forums I read, there are people that take their tire pressure sensors, put them in a capped off PVC pipe, pressurize the pipe so they can run their summer or winter tires without having the idiot light on the dash, and then put the assembly under the driver's seat. I'd rather stare at the idiot light.