• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aisle and Aisle Accessways in Type B Restaurants and Similar Spaces

fungineer

I tried a search and didn't see anything (but only read initial snippets). Hopefully you can help. Within WI, we do a lot of restaurant buildouts which have small occupancies (<50) so they are able to be categorized as Type "B" occupancies per 303.1.1
My question relates to the application of Section 1018.2 and 1018.3 (using IBC 2015).

Because the space for the restaurant Dinning Area (or a Break room for example) is a "small assembly" space, does the application of 1018.2 apply? Assuming I know where the [movable] furniture is likely to be placed initially, am I required to show it can meet the aisle accessway requirements to each (or most remote) seat?

The commentary for 1018.1 states the code defines requirements for aisle accessways for Assembly Spaces and Type M. B is based only on the Chapter 2 definition.

So specifically:
1. In a Small Assembly, Type B occupancy, do I need defined minimum aisle accessways per 1018.2?
2. If not, am I allowed Aisle Accessways at all, or does the farthest seat need to have an aisle all the way per 1018.3? I assume not.
3. If 2 is no, is there any restrictions on my length or width between the farthest seat and the start of my aisle per 1018.3? Assume my total travel distance and common path of travel will apply.
4. Would these answer change for other similar "small assembly areas"? Restaurant, Break Room, Waiting Room, Conference Room, etc.?

Obviously, by best practice I feel that I should apply 1018.2 if no requirement is given and the aisles don't need to reach all the way there. But If I'm wrong in that, but my question is specifically to if the code Requires it to be addressed.

Welcome,,,,

By code yes,,,

By real life, once you design, and it is built, and in use,,

A pretty picture of furniture layout will not happen. Cleaning, change of displays, etc.

If the ahj says provide a floor plan, that is when I think you should spend the time to do it.

Part of why I bring it up is that as a part of our general notes, we list the assembly clearances for Aisle Accessways. My supervisor will always have us turn the furniture off (as it's not part of the contract) and remove that section from the general notes. It's his stamp and policy so I'd likely follow that, but if this note is added as a CYA note should furniture ever "appear" in that room (which it will). Obviously reality and plans, especially for furniture, are seldom the same.

It would appear to be intentional to not use the "A" like the B&M........so as it reads..."spaces used for assembly purposes", not based on overall use and occupancy....

1018.5 Aisles in other than assembly spaces and Groups B
and M. In other than rooms or spaces used for assembly purposes
and Group B and M occupancies, the minimum clear
aisle capacity shall be determined by Section 1005.1 for the
occupant load served, but the width shall be not less than that
required for corridors by Section 1020.2.

1018.2 Aisles in assembly spaces. Aisles and aisle accessways
serving a room or space used for assembly purposes
shall comply with Section 1029.