• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Aisle vs. Corridor in restaurant design

Meadowbend99

I have a restaurant/cigar bar in Texas, 2018 IBC, that was disapproved. For the most part the layout is "H" shaped. One side of the H is the restaurant, the other side the Cigar bar with a vestibule in the middle to access either side. Restrooms, 2 exits, kitchen, office are at the back with another vestibule to access either side. In calculating occupant loads I'm not including the pathway that goes from front of restaurant to back, as this is the main area of travel and table/chairs would never go in this space. I'm considering this pathway a corridor since it serves as the path for emergency exit as well as the main circulation for the space. The fire marshall is asking for this space to be included and calling it an aisle. Each side of the "H" has this pathway.

Including it in the occupant load will put the restaurant over the threshold and require a sprinkler system. Is there language to help differentiate aisle from corridor?

You have an aisle. not a corridor. it is not enclosed. That area needs to be included in your occupant load calculations.

CA code definition but it is accurate. 1694800367165.png

What occupant load factors are you using? Surely, one of the OLF is a gross factor that would include this area. If you have a kitchen, the OLF should be 200 gross. Depending upon what these corridors/aisle are accessory to, that would be the gross OLF that I would include them within.

Typically for dining any booths or banquette seating will be calculated per linear dimension. All other table and chair areas at 1/15. all areas calculated, no elimination of circulation aisle area.

Is the seating loose or fixed? Fixed seating - count the seats. Loose is (iirc) 15 sf.

A path through assembly seating is most definitely an aisle or aisle accessway.