• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Am I an alarmist?

ICE

Oh Well
As the solar craze grew legs I noticed that the contractors were leaving exposed live parts where children have access. They remove the deadfronts and go home. They request an inspection and it all stays wide open until it has been inspected and the contractor has time to return. At first it was just now and then. Before long it was all over the place. At first it was only found with solar inspections. Before long it happened with service panel upgrades as well.

I fought the practice. I refused to do the inspection. I levied re-inspection fees. I tried to get Los Angeles County B/S interested in eradicating the practice. I failed at every turn. It happens a few hundred times each day just in southern California.

It's been a problem for nearly fifteen years. But here's the truth, it's not a real problem... I'm not aware of even one electrocution of a child.

I suppose my experience as a child led me to think that it was dangerous. We were curious and played outdoors. The kids of today are in the bedroom on a computer so there's not the exposure as I envisioned.

I was excited over nothing. So to all of you that I gave grief over this, let me say... I'm not the least bit sorry and you are still morons. Oh and to you inspectors that allow this practice...even encourage this..well to you I say, I was wrong about you too......you're not really inspectors.

IMG_0346_2.JPG

DSCN1287.JPG

This is exactly how I found it... door open..dead-front removed. Three to five times a day.. five days a week. If there's corrections written, and when is there not, it happens again. It might be like this for days.
IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_4599.JPG

Last edited:
There might not be as much risk as you think. How many kids play outdoors now? Most are on video games.

There might not be as much risk as you think. How many kids play outdoors now? Most are on video games.
It doesn't matter if there are kids playing in the area or not. It just takes one child playing in the area who's inquisitive to cause same disaster for the child and his/her parents. It shouldn't be being done and contractor to do it should suffer consequences.

It doesn't matter if there are kids playing in the area or not. It just takes one child playing in the area who's inquisitive to cause same disaster for the child and his/her parents. It shouldn't be being done and contractor to do it should suffer consequences.
Yes but … the problem is we have heard similar stories from Ice for quite a while, and he also posts that he isn’t getting support from the county. No one in management wants to stand up to the scofflaws.