• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Am I the only one using Softplan?

Jay

SAWHORSE
I used autocad way back in the day. My old boss found an article in a magazine from this Canadian company called Softplan. This is going back about 15 years. Long story short, I've been using the program and loving it. Very user friendly and so easy to draft. Of course it is not the universal standard like Acad. Just wondering if anyone else uses it....? Thanks.

Never uploaded on here, I'll give it a try....

Attachments

• odon.pdf
    737.6 KB · Views: 16
Hmmm , don't see how to insert pic here. Oh well.

Check out softplan.com!

Attachments

• section detail.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
I've never heard about Softplan before. I can certainly try it, but the price... I'll look for demos ad samples of use before

I think that's the same program my former employer used to design house plans, then handed the plans off to me to do the take-offs and PO's for materials. Did not know it was from the north forty!

I am not using Softplan. IDT Plans in conjunction with BlueBeam for some jobs and SmartGov with BlueBeam for others. We are converting to BS&A Software which is Michigan based so I assume those in the midwest have experience with BS&A.

This is really not the right forum for this.
Most of the members are code people.
When I did Architecture, before becoming a Building Official, I used AutoCad preceded by DataCad, preceded by hand drawings (70's- and most of the 80's).....

I think that's the same program my former employer used to design house plans, then handed the plans off to me to do the take-offs and PO's for materials. Did not know it was from the north forty!

I was mistaken, that program I used was called Buildsoft.

This is really not the right forum for this.
Most of the members are code people.
When I did Architecture, before becoming a Building Official, I used AutoCad preceded by DataCad, preceded by hand drawings (70's- and most of the 80's).....

I would respectfully disagree as we have a section for this within this site and it was posted in the appropriate area. I have this in hopes of using this area to help grow and diversify the members of the forum.

I would respectfully disagree as we have a section for this within this site and it was posted in the appropriate area. I have this in hopes of using this area to help grow and diversify the members of the forum.
I understand Jeff, but most architects and engineers have "specialty" sites.

If anyone's interested.
I was testing a free trial version of Softplan and found it to be quite an interesting software, which will surely take its niche among other 3D design software. It has good looking and user friendly interface so I was able to learn some basic things pretty quick. But unfortunately for me the Softplan is highly integrated and co-operated with AutoCAD (and Google SketchUP) and tuned to work with DWG and DXF files (and SKP in its latest version), while our software (Artec Studio) doesn't support dwg\dxf extensions. May be I'll give it another chance if I'll find out how to import 3D models without using third-party file converters.
Best regards.