• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ammunitions Storage Room at a Sherriff's Facility

planchecklgb

Using the 2009 IBC what is the occupancy group for an ammunitions storage room at a Sherriff's facility. I'm looking at H occupancies, but not sure where to place this.

The following is the type of firearms ammunition and estimate of quantity that may be stored in the armory:

.223 40,000 cartridges

9mm 20,000

.40 15,000

.308 15,000

12 gauge 5,000

Any idea as the the occupancy classification ?

planchecklgb said:
Using the 2009 IBC what is the occupancy group for an ammunitions storage room at a Sherriff's facility. I'm looking at H occupancies, but not sure where to place this. The following is the type of firearms ammunition and estimate of quantity that may be stored in the armory:

.223 40,000 cartridges

9mm 20,000

.40 15,000

.308 15,000

12 gauge 5,000

Any idea as the the occupancy classification ?
I'm hoping an FM will chime in, but my guess is:

Explosives-Division 1.4 - H-3 if over 50 lbs.

Ammo storage is in IFC

I know it takes alot of bullets to get any requirements

Will check it tommorrow

If Imhotep has the classification right, the table footnotes allow 100% increase for storage cabinets and no limit if sprinklered...

IFC 2003::

SECTION 3301

GENERAL

3301.1 Scope. The provisions of this chapter shall govern the

possession, manufacture, storage, handling, sale and use of explosives,

explosive materials, fireworks and small arms ammunition.

Exceptions:

3. The possession, storage and use of small arms ammunition

when packaged in accordance with DOTn

packaging requirements.

The use of explosive materials by federal, state and local

regulatory, law enforcement and fire agencies acting

in their official capacities.

SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION. A shotgun, rifle or pistol

cartridge and any cartridge for propellant-actuated devices.

This definition does not include military ammunition containing

bursting charges or incendiary, trace, spotting or pyrotechnic

projectiles.

SMALL ARMS PRIMERS. Small percussion-sensitive explosive

charges, encased in a cap, used to ignite propellant

powder.

SECTION 3306

SMALL ARMS AMMUNITION

3306.1 General. Indoor storage and display of black powder,

smokeless propellants and small arms ammunition shall comply

with this section and NFPA 495.

3306.2 Prohibited storage. Small arms ammunition shall not

be stored together with Division 1.1, Division 1.2 or Division

1.3 explosives unless the storage facility is suitable for the storage

of explosive materials.

primers are limited::

in "M" 3306.5.1.3 Small arms primers. No more than 10,000

small arms primers shall be displayed in Group M occupancies.

does not get into whole bullets!!!!!!!!!

normaly they make some sound, but do not think they go boom, and the projectile is not normaly confined, so does not travel much.

Maybe look at NFPA 495, to see if there is anything there.

just think of a wally world, cabelas, etc, and all the bullets in those estabilshments, and no special storage.

The fire code restrictions are for unassembled ammunition bulk powder and bulk primers.

Once assembled ammunition is non hazardous.

From NFPA 495

14-2 Small Arms Ammunition

14-2.1 No restrictions shall be imposed on transportation of

small arms ammunition other than those imposed by

the US Department of Transportation or by the presence

of other hazardous materials.

14-2.2 No quantity limitations shall be imposed on the storage

of small arms ammunition in warehouses, retail

stores, and other occupancies other than those

imposed by limitations of the storage facility and by

public safety regulations.

Frank said:
From NFPA 49514-2 Small Arms Ammunition

14-2.1 No restrictions shall be imposed on transportation of

small arms ammunition other than those imposed by

the US Department of Transportation or by the presence

of other hazardous materials.

14-2.2 No quantity limitations shall be imposed on the storage

of small arms ammunition in warehouses, retail

stores, and other occupancies other than those

imposed by limitations of the storage facility and by

public safety regulations.
Public safety regulations - 2009 IBC

TABLE 307.1(1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POSING A PHYSICAL HAZARD

Explosives - DOT Division 1.4 - H3 if > 50lbs (100 percent increase when stored in approved storage cabinets) < 50lbs Moderate-hazard storage, Group S-1

imhotep said:
Public safety regulations - 2009 IBCTABLE 307.1(1) MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE QUANTITY PER CONTROL AREA OF HAZARDOUS MATERIALS POSING A PHYSICAL HAZARD

Explosives - DOT Division 1.4 - H3 if > 50lbs (100 percent increase when stored in approved storage cabinets) < 50lbs Moderate-hazard storage, Group S-1
50 lbs. of explosive or 50 lbs of bullet? These are two very different things. Maybe 361 pounds of powder in all that ammo.

50 lbs of explosive.

To me, this is a case of a specific provision (IFC 3306) trumping a general requirement (IFC 2703.1.1).

The "public safety regulation" language in NFPA 495 is what lets the IFC further restrict storage in M and R occpuancies as seen in 3306.4 & 3306.5. If you let the "public safety regulation" language put you back into the MAQ table, then you're ignoring the fact that there are specific provisions for that hazard elsewhere in the code.

Thoughts?

permitguy said:
50 lbs of explosive.To me, this is a case of a specific provision (IFC 3306) trumping a general requirement (IFC 2703.1.1).

The "public safety regulation" language in NFPA 495 is what lets the IFC further restrict storage in M and R occpuancies as seen in 3306.4 & 3306.5. If you let the "public safety regulation" language put you back into the MAQ table, then you're ignoring the fact that there are specific provisions for that hazard elsewhere in the code.

Thoughts?
I concur, firefighters normal protective clothing will protect against small arms ammo popping as long as it is not cooking off in the chamber.

Read the defintion of ""explosive""

And see if you think a bullet matches the definition.

Last edited by a moderator:
It certainly does, but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. We still have 2703.1.1 dealing with explosives generally, and 3306 dealing with small arms ammunition specifically. Help me out!

Just as an aside, I distinctly remember an issue with certain items being stored with ammunition. IIRC flash bangs could not be stored in the same room due to chemical interaction. I'm sorry I don't remember the specifics or where that came from (NFPA, I believe).

It's covered in both the IFC and NFPA 495. From the IFC:

3306.2 Prohibited storage. Small arms ammunition shall not be stored together with Division 1.1, Division 1.2 or Division 1.3 explosives unless the storage facility is suitable for the storage of explosive materials.

Public safety? We are talking about the Police barracks aren't we? They're the ones that are supposed to be well armed. Or are they all Barney Fife's? :p

My understanding of small arms ammunition is that it does not 'shoot' the bullets in a fire, but rather the casings pop. Not a pretty sight, but not at all like the movies where bullets fly in all directions when ammo is thrown in a fire...

mtlogcabin said:
95,000 rounds per residence sounds about right for 10% of the homes in Montana
I believe you. I worked construction in Chico Hot Springs in the late 80's and most pickups carried right around that quantity. Wasn't brave enough to ask them how much they had at home!

permitguy said:
It certainly does, but I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make. We still have 2703.1.1 dealing with explosives generally, and 3306 dealing with small arms ammunition specifically. Help me out!
sorry i do not think a bullet meets the definition of explosive

EXPLOSIVE. A chemical compound, mixture or device, the

primary or common purpose of which is to function by explosion.

The term includes, but is not limited to, dynamite, black

powder, pellet powder, initiating explosives, detonators, safety

fuses, squibs, detonating cord, igniter cord, igniters and display

fireworks, 1.3G (Class B, Special).

The term “explosive” includes any material determined to be

within the scope of USC Title 18: Chapter 40 and also includes

any material classified as an explosive other than consumer

fireworks, 1.4G (Class C, Common) by the hazardous materials

regulations of DOTn 49 CFR.