1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

An addition and substantial improvement

Discussion in 'Floodplain Management' started by jar546, Feb 3, 2020.

1. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

We all know that an addition to a home in the special flood hazard area must comply with the requirements under your floodplain ordinance.

At what point, however do you consider an addition as a trigger to upgrade the rest of the house if no other work is planned inside the house other than attaching the addition?

2. Robert

Robert Registered User

I don't know the answer but some jurisdictions will cite the 50% rule (ie: replace 50% of roof or siding and you need to replace all of it to conform to class A in the fire zones), or recently I hit their threshold of 1000 sq ft addition which triggered fire sprinklers throughout the whole house. We applied for an expensive AMMR which allowed fire sprinklers in only the addition (as opposed to the whole house). The most frustrating thing I learned is that everyone has their own definition of floor area.....the energy folks have their definition, the fire folks have theirs (called "fire area"), the building code floor area is based on height for habitable space, etc..... and none of them align.

3. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

If you add square footage, you expose yourself to more flood flow, thereby putting more stress on the existing construction.