• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

how far can they extend the wooden ladder?

It seems to me that the sliding glass door is a code violation in a garage

The wood ladder will go as high as your wallet will allow.

I think the SUV in the bedroom/nursery is a bigger problem.

This is how they left it. Nobody there and wide open.

DSCN8415.jpg

I pointed out that the duct has collapsed at the bend. The contractor kept asking me what radius is required by the code.

DSCN8356.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The service panel was installed four years ago without a permit. Edison decided that they were going to shut it off if they didn't get an inspection by me. To prepare for that inspection, they installed a pair of ground rods and a bonding jumper to a water pipe. I wonder what got Edison so excited.

DSCN8424.jpg

north star said:
= = =Tag fetish ?

In Post # 561, ...please cite the violations inside the panel!

In Post # 569, ...do you require the purple primer on all / some

/ any pvc ? :cool:

= = =
I apologize North Star, I just noticed your questions.

It is that the lock rings are not tight. A lock ring should bite into the metal. There are variations of the defect such as crooked conduit and rings that are upside down or too small for the hole.

It should look like this.

DSCN8020.jpg

The The plumbing that you see there is process pipe. As such, I do not inspect it other than in the shell of the pool. Pool contractors don't know that and always call for an inspection of the pipe before they backfill trenches. And yes, they always have 20 psi air pressure. Pool contractors make me nervous. Pool contractors are to all the building trades as solar contractors are to the electrical trade.

The pvc that I do inspect does have purple primer. I recall that subject has come up several times regarding an invisible primer...now there's a stupid idea. I don't see PVC or CVPVC often. The usual is copper or PEX. PEX seems to be holding up well but the fittings do not impress me.

The building is 800K sq.ft. A mezzanine of 90Ksq.ft. is being built. There are column footings galore.

The footings adjacent to the K brace have been dug.

DSCN8487.jpg

Visible in the first hole is a portion of the block of concrete that secures the brace.

DSCN8492.jpg

DSCN8488.jpg

The plan show 8" dowels with 4" exposed at all of the footings. The dowels are a slip fit.

DSCN8484.jpg

In the past, I have inspected K brace footings that also had special reinforcement in the slab around the brace footings. I asked that question and nobody had an answer. Three days later, their engineer came to the office to confer with our engineer. The conclusion is that this K brace did not require slab reinforcement, and it never hurts to ask.

The building is over a quarter mile long. There are exit doors with exit signs directly over the doors. The doors and signs are hidden by product. A mezzanine is being built so before it's done, I will get exit signs placed where they can be seen.

I wonder what the Fire Dept. has to say about this.

DSCN8527.jpg

DSCN8528.jpg

Three guys showed up at the counter this morning. One did the talking. He explained that he was the contractor doing a re-roof that was up for inspection today. His question was what is the nail pattern for sheathing. He wanted to make sure that they got it right because "Every city is different"

The ladder was too short....there's sawdust on a steep roof....and nails sticking out of the roof, everywhere.

DSCN8537.jpg

The water heater was in a laundry room. The room has a gas clothes dryer, an exhaust fan and no combustion air openings so they moved the water heater to the outside.

The rubber on the handle might melt but I doubt that it will ignite.

DSCN8538.jpg