• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

An average day

A solar contractor performed a service panel upgrade. This is the connection to the uffer.....he thinks that this is presentable.

IMG_0153.jpeg

What is wrong with this? I'm not real knowledgeable about electrical...
The connection has an access on the inside of the wall. I’m not sure but I suspect it is located in the garage. The original clamp faces away from the outside. The new clamp faces away from the garage access. The hole in the exterior wall needs to be repaired....watertight would be asking for too much.

The fix is turning the clamp towards the access and patching the wall.

Why wouldn’t they trim the mounting rails to length?
The better question is why would they. I have suggested that before and was asked if it is a code violation. It is a violation if it is on the setback side of the array.

Why would they? To make a neat installation. Would you let the gutter run a foot past the end of the roof because it came in pre-cut lengths?

Looks aren't everything although I admit a neat, clean job is easier to inspect. Generally in metal roofing, cuts in the field expose the metal to moisture and potential of rust intrusion. Some cutting is necessary and they have to be treated. If the uni-strut or gutter system is used whole or uncut, there is less chance of rust and potentially a longer life of the support system. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Would you let the gutter run a foot past the end of the roof because it came in pre-cut lengths?"

I could reject it if I was the owner or architect. I don't know of anything in the code that would let me reject it if I were an inspector.

"Would you let the gutter run a foot past the end of the roof because it came in pre-cut lengths?"

I could reject it if I was the owner or architect. I don't know of anything in the code that would let me reject it if I were an inspector.
It’s a tripping hazard in the required access path.

When I was a newbie inspector I had a knowledgeable supervisor that was trusted by all. One day I lamented that I see things that are wrong that have no code to use to correct them. He said to make one up. He said that 90% of the people out there don't know the code and won't know any better.

Last edited:
When I was a newbie inspector I had a knowledgeable supervisor that was trusted by all. One day I lamented that I see things that are wrong that have no code to use to correct them. He said to make one up. He said that 90% of the people out there don't know the code and won't know any better.
I really believe that specific code section(s) should be cited when a job is tagged, it prevents the Urban Legend Code* from being cited, & is a learning experience for all, but in a good number posts here the "installers" don't give a flying **** either.

* Urban legends such a no splices in panels, no Romex® in conduit & so on.

I write way too many corrections to provide code sections. If I had cheat sheet I could provide sections....but I don't. Consider that I do 12 virtual inspections each day. Some get no corrections and others get twenty. Of the twelve, half involve two to four trades. I find electricians with a code book a few times a month. I have never encountered anyone with a Building/Residential code book. Maybe twice have I run into a contractor with a mechanical code book. The electricians that have a code book seldom need a code section to go with a correction. Now and then they give me a code section.

I write way too many corrections to provide code sections. If I had cheat sheet I could provide sections....but I don't. Consider that I do 12 virtual inspections each day. Some get no corrections and others get twenty. Of the twelve, half involve two to four trades. I find electricians with a code book a few times a month. I have never encountered anyone with a Building/Residential code book. Maybe twice have I run into a contractor with a mechanical code book. The electricians that have a code book seldom need a code section to go with a correction. Now and then they give me a code section.
I Agree,
Even though here in AK they have to take a test on the IRC before they can do residential, and they have to do some Cont. Ed. the residential contractors never have the book. The only code book they ever buy is the version that they needed for that first test. Electricians and plumbers are more likely to have the book on the jobsite.

Wouldn't it be nice if I only had to study one or two books!

Anyone who has a phone has access to a digital code book in the field. In todays digital age there are no excuses for not having access to a code book.
Also the practice of "making up a code" should be a thing of the past. I am sure you do not like it when a contractor lies to you and when you make up a code you are lying to the contractor and you have just lost any trust or respect you may have built for yourself over the years

Anyone who has a phone has access to a digital code book in the field. In todays digital age there are no excuses for not having access to a code book.
Also the practice of "making up a code" should be a thing of the past. I am sure you do not like it when a contractor lies to you and when you make up a code you are lying to the contractor and you have just lost any trust or respect you may have built for yourself over the years
Your reason for not fabricating a code does not fit with my circumstances. There is no respect for me to lose. The majority of the constituents come from a culture of acceptable corruption. The majority of the building officials are inept to straight up evil.

I don't fabricate codes because I am too busy with the real codes. Corrections, on the other hand, are not always code based. And I suppose you and others would have a problem with that too....but hey now....sometimes I just step out of your comfort zone. There are things that need to be addressed that have no code to go with it. "Water the orange tree"---"Give the dog more chain"---"Clean the debris out of the gutters"---That last one sets roofers off....The second one sets me off.....and oh my goodness I used to be an orange farmer.

And the code book on a phone is a cruel hoax.

I was told the other day to "Stop being a construction superintendent and just tell me the code violations that need to be addressed!"

Man did that hurt:(, "Some contractors are just brutal!" then this...ooh by the way my partner tested positive for covid, guess I should have told you before you did my inspection! (Horses a$$ emoji here).

We call your examples "Suggestions" not corrections. Do you do a follow up inspection to see if they complied with your corrections?
I'll go back on the oranges about this time next month....I always get a frantic phone call from the owner with the dog chain correction .....the gutters is a lost cause.

Last edited:
ICE, what is that channel on the very front side of the panels down by the roof edge?

Spray paint job...not good....not good!