• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Animal crematory

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
I read an old post here about crematories but there was no conclusion on what the occupancy classification should be. Architect is calling it B but maybe it should be F1 which can be used for refuse incineration. This will be in an existing accessory building, looks like a residential garage, on the same site as an existing veterinary office which looks like a house on the plans. The crematory looks like an appliance (UL listed) that runs on propane, but I don't know if it makes the whole building a crematory or that it is just an appliance. The building will only be for employees.

This is what the code is thinking when it puts refuse incinerator as a occupancy. I'd consider animal crematory as a B. It would not be constantly used but a few times a week at most unlike refuse incineration. Id assume that the code developers were aware that cremating animals is a standard practice in many vets.1715194084976.png

This is what the code is thinking when it puts refuse incinerator as a occupancy. I'd consider animal crematory as a B. It would not be constantly used but a few times a week at most unlike refuse incineration. Id assume that the code developers were aware that cremating animals is a standard practice in many vets.View attachment 13395
The job cost $162,000. I can't see just using it a few times a week pays for it.

unknown. Does it make a difference?
How big would a cremating unit for a horse have to be? It's not like you could just set it on a counter like a toaster oven. We have a place here that is part of K-State university that treats exotic animals like camels and giraffes - if they have a crematory it would have to be giant, which might affect the occupancy.

If Fido is the biggest animal it will ever see, I'm sure you could get a unit small enough not to create a hazard in a B occupancy.

"....that treats exotic animals like camels and giraffes - if they have a crematory it would have to be giant...."

Will they disassemble the animal? I wonder if a giraffe burger would be worth the trouble.

Last edited:
How big would a cremating unit for a horse have to be? It's not like you could just set it on a counter like a toaster oven. We have a place here that is part of K-State university that treats exotic animals like camels and giraffes - if they have a crematory it would have to be giant, which might affect the occupancy.

If Fido is the biggest animal it will ever see, I'm sure you could get a unit small enough not to create a hazard in a B occupancy.
I takes up about a third of the space in the 24' x 24' garage. maybe it's about15' x 8'.

Talked to ICC. they said definitely F1. But they also said I could call it B because it is small. They told me to look at the occupancy for F1 commercial kitchens, they need to be over 2,500 sq ft otherwise they are B.
I am leaning to accept the B that the architect said it was. Either way it would not require any more requirements in the code between a B or a F1 because it is small, or any changes on the building, except for accessibility requirements.