• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another E&E Window Dilemma

InspMO

Bronze Member
The pictures are of a grade level E&E window from a view out basement. I have not been able to find a clearance from the opening requirement. I would say the same clearance for a window well, can't push it. Am I missing something? 2006 IRC

View attachment 1270

View attachment 1271

View attachment 1272

View attachment 1270

View attachment 1271

View attachment 1272

/monthly_2010_04/572953d9b9e83_EampEWindowClearance1a1600x1200.jpg.7d6a4a433b46e4ab4cc592e0dba20cb3.jpg

/monthly_2010_04/572953d9bd174_EampEWindowClearance21600x1200.jpg.1856dd02fe6c5954e4008ed04e291ed8.jpg

/monthly_2010_04/572953d9bf439_EampEWindowClearance3a1600x1200.jpg.9c73e8b61a3b786dc5ba299d51e13f31.jpg

Re: Another E&E Window Dilemma

No, there are no requirement for an egress window on the outside. There are several inside requirements.

InspMO said:
The pictures are of a grade level E&E window from a view out basement. I have not been able to find a clearance from the opening requirement. I would say the same clearance for a window well, can't push it. Am I missing something? 2006 IRC
Looks a person could get out the window without much trouble...the compressor doesn't even look 44" high for that matter.

I should probably wait to reply until I look at the code book but as I recall an egress window is supposed to open to a yard, court or public way, open and unobstructed to the sky. There is no definitive dimension as to how far away the A/C unit should be from the window to qualify as unobstructed. 3' would work for me. 3' works for landings, stairs and hallways which can all be part of the means of egress so what say you.

That's just bad placement of a AC unit! I would try to reason with the builder and see if you can get it moved. Not sure how you can apply the window well requirement R310 it's not a window well application, it's an obstruction for sure. I would check siding to grade distance and disconnect distance to AC unit for compliance, if the builder has to get the electrican or have to change grade he might see it your way for eggress?

line set already in place, can be a pain to move.

why not suggest flop the slider to the other side ?

used to do it all the time

tom

The other thing to consider is that only ONE such opening is required from a basement. You didn't give the entire scope of the basement - if there were other openings, etc.

No other openings. Sometimes I wonder why folks do this kind of stuff.

still need to be able to get out and get the fire fighters in safely.. and as we all know, firefighters are primarily interested with preventing damage to the structure while they are trying to save lives... :lol: they'd never use an axe or anything...

I like 88 Twin's idea to flop the slider.

I would like to see 36" in the clear in front of the vent on the outside.

Rick

My understanding of IRC R310.1 is that the required opening is intended primarily to accomodate a firefighter in a rescue operation. The secondary intention is for the opening to be used as an escape route for an occupant.

Locating the condensing unit ouside the required opening would impede a rescue I believe.

This is not intended to complicate the issue any more but IRC M1308.3 also requires that the outside unit be supported on a foundation at least 3-inches above finished grade.