• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Another sign of hard times at the ICC

Code Neophyte

Silver Member
I recently took and passed another cert. exam. A month later, I received a regular 4-1/2 X 9 envelope marked "Confidential" from the ICC. When I opened the top, I saw across the header (kind of a memo format) a subject line with something concerning "Certification exam". I suddenly thought, "Oh $#(%! I must not have passed after all - there must have been some kind of glitch at the testing center when they gave me the 'pass' slip!". No, when I withdrew the letter/memo completely, a wallet card fell out. The letter/memo was informing me that I had passed. Apparently, they can no longer afford the higher bond paper and the larger envelopes to print and mail actual certificates for certifications anymore! Unbelievable!!

Re: Another sign of hard times at the ICC

Recently passed FIREINSPECTOR 1.......waited and waited for a frameable certificate.

Got on the ICC site and you can fax in a request for the real deal.....which i did.

Two days later the certificate arrived.........you may still get one without requesting it.

Can't see why they don't create a downloadable version link that one can access with their # and print their own after completing the certification.

Can't see why they don't create a downloadable version link that one can access with their # and print their own after completing the certification.
Because: That would then become the only useable feature of their website!

Get the wallet card.. call it good.

I'm not big on having my certs on a wall..

ICC was never big on using high grade paper anyway.

I don't mind having to request the wall certificate as long as it remains free, but I think it is pretty crappy to charge for the combination categories. Those are supposed to be the reward for obtaining several certificates in a category. Besides, they get fees for renewal of the certificate.

Don't get me wrong, I am not asking for handouts. I pay good money just to take the exam, let alone for the purchase all the books and reference material. I at the least deserve my certificates for free.

Not getting the certificate would drive me crazy. The only reason I take the exams is so that I can hang the certs on my wall.

The Cow

The cow charges $180.00 to take a single exam and renweal fees every 3 years. They should send a nice certificate for that kind of money. But perhaps this is just another membership service cut back that will sink their (our) green, money grubing ship? :eek:

In defense of the cow... the cert exams are administered by a different company (outsourcing is usually cheaper).. ICC maintains the records, which I think is what the renewal fee is for.

As far as suitable for framing certificates.. it's a waste of paper.. give my my wallet card.. enough proof. I could really paper my powder room with those that I have.. but I just keep them in an envelope.. no real good office space to display them.

And who cares? I can look up on the ICC website the certified inspectors.

Vanity is one thing.. professional conduct, practice and certifications are quite another.

I suppose I just have a slightly different take on this. I do not have any of my certificates displayed, either - don't care to. My point is not that I wish to have an array of certificates behind my desk that represent a 90-minute test effort. My point is that the cost to produce those certificates cannot be prohibitively expensive; to eliminate them only reinforces my impression that the Cow has markedly shifted its focus away from the "core" codes (IBC, IRC, etc.) and away from the value of its individual inspector members, and instead has made as its chief concentration, the ephemeral "Green" movement, Washington politics, etc.

I think the implication is that these certificates are not difficult to attain, and do not in any way represent a level of competency or knowledge or ability. I don't regard my high school diploma as being a terribly difficult accomplishment, either. In fact, I went to school with a good number of people who graduated without ever having to demonstrate that they had learned anything. Maybe schools around the country can take a cue from the ICC and do away with graduation ceremonies, diploma certificates, etc. The principal could simply announce that a graduation "wallet card" may be picked up in the office on the last day of school, and as a special recognition, the graduates' names will be *gasp* listed on the schools website!!!!

I used to have my cert's hanging on the wall in my office. These days I do not and really don't care about a "show-me". There is one I thought about displaying and that is the CFPS cert. Now that in my mind was a tough exam but it still rests in an envelope.

Last edited by a moderator:
JP,

Totally understand the wallpaper and I don't hang mine either. I just have copies of them in my CV for court qualifications as needed. Regarding the CFPS, I will hang that one when I get it cuz similar to your impression, I'm looking forward to challenge. Just wish they made the fonts larger in the index :)

I think hanging the certs in the office differs with each AHJ. Where I worked before everyone hung their certs in their office. In Texas; as a Master Plumber; I was required by the State to hang my License in my office.

Where I am now; being the only one with any certifications; it would not be appropriate.

I was asked for my Inspector's license the other day; after I failed an inspection (no problem). I was also informed that the owner, who "was a very important person" in the community; was in a hurry to open his business; and, wouldn't appreciate me holding them up.

Won't be long now, lol

Uncle Bob

ConArb,

The States have got to STOP ADOPTING THE I-CODES WITHOUT CAREFULLY REVIEWING & AMENDING THEM!

THE I-CODES ARE CREATED BY SPECIAL INTERESTS AND POPULAR VOTE;

NOT BY KNOWLEDGEABLE PROFESSIONALS WHO ARE EXPERTS IN THEIR SPECIFIC FIELD!

Engineers - Structural, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical; should be writing the codes.

And as ususal; the ICC missed Tornado Alley which is a little west of their map;

stalley.gif

Good Grief,

Uncle Bob

Hello all, old time member of the old ICC BB, new member here. Years ago the ICBO folks gave us nice certificates, suitable for framing, but now all I get are little wallet cards. Just another case of the "bean-counters" in charge.

Haven’t hung mine all the wall in years and the sad thing is only other folks in our industry know what they are. Oh well......... I'm glad I rejoined this venue and looking forward to contributing.

BTW, I spent time on the ICC Residential Code committee and was an alternate of the residential plan exam committee. Nice folks and we had fun. As a long time bldg. code instructor at our local community college I’m used to making up exams and there is a certain governing protocol to it.

Jerry