• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anti-Ligature Knob

Re: Anti-Ligature Knobcda...you beat me to it! I was going to ask the experts here about this product (here's a link to my blog post: http://www.ihatehardware.com/?p=3575). It's usually used in mental health or detention facilities, and it's designed to prevent someone from attaching something to the hardware and hanging themselves. I'm sure the knob is not accessible, although the catalog cut says that the thumbturn is. The product manager asked me about accessibility requirements for thumbturns when they were designing the product, and apparently this thumbturn can be operated without grasping, twisting, tight pinching, etc., because the catalog cut says the thumbturn is accessible.I'm wondering whether a product used in this application is typically required to be accessible. I looked at the IBC-2003 Commentary and 1107.5.3.1 says that at least 10% of I-2 dwelling units and sleeping units shall be accessible units, but in the commentary it talks about the anticipation that many of the patients will be routinely assisted by staff. It also says, "In the case of psychiatric facilities, detoxification facilities or residential care/assisted facilities there is a lesser likelihood that the typical patient will be physically disabled." If the patients are always assisted by staff, does the lock need to be accessible?If the lock needs to be accessible but also an anti-ligature type, what is normally used?Is there any reason to state that the thumbturn is accessible if the knob is not?Thanks for your help as always. There's an anti-ligature lever in the works, but I'd like to answer cda's question on my site for anyone else who was wondering the same thing.- Lori

View attachment 82

View attachment 82

/monthly_2010_06/572953b585ddf_AntiLig.jpg.16df77ffd438717ed9deeb69b4702552.jpg

Re: Anti-Ligature Knob

Ohhhh. :eek:

Definitely cannot be used where accessibility is required. I can't see a way of opening the door without both tight pinching and twisting of the wrist.

I'm not saying that there isn't an application and that there isn't anywhere that it can't be used - just not anywhere that an accessible path is required.

cda & Lori - Without getting into WHEN accessible operation is required, I will offer my opinion on the general accessibility of the design. The dead bolt appears to be, although the mere fact that a manufacturer SAYS it is does not necessarily mean it is. The description in the graphics for the components describes the knob as "Easy to Grip design of the Quad Grip knob with ergonomical gripping impressions" leads me to belive it would NOT be considered as meeting accessibility requirements. Too much 'gripping'! Interesting design though...

I wonder if the FEDS or someone is requireing something like this or is going to require it in the near future???

problem with the design is you open the door and but the sheet in the door close door, and closed door should hold sheet

I'm sure the knob is not accessible. Schlage is working on an anti-ligature lever that would be accessible, but it's more difficult to design a lever with no place for someone to attach something to hang himself/herself with. My main question is whether a patient room door on a psychiatric facility is required to be accessible.

I haven't seen a set of design standards for mental health facilities, but I found these recommendations on the Whole Building Design Guide website (http://www.wbdg.org/design/psychiatric.php):

"The potential suicide of patients is a special concern of psychiatric facilities. The facility must not unwittingly create opportunities for suicide. Design to address this and other safety and security issues includes:

* Plumbing, electrical, and mechanical devices designed to be tamper-proof

* Use of breakaway shower-rods and bars, no clothes hooks

* Elimination of all jumping opportunities

* Control of entrances and exits by staff

* Provision for patient bedroom doors to be opened by staff in case of emergency

* Laminated glass for windows in inpatient units

* Fiber-reinforced gypsum board for walls

* Special features in seclusion rooms to eliminate all opportunities for self-injury, including outward opening door with no inside hardware

* Careful consideration of appropriate locations for grab bars and handrails. Where they must be used in unsupervised spaces, and patient profile justifies extra care, special designs are available that preclude their use for self-injury.

* Eliminate the use of door knobs and handles

* Solid material specified ceilings"

You would not put a dead bolt lock on a psychiatric room that would allow a patient to lock themselves in a room and lock out any help they might need.

Coug Dad said:
You would not put a dead bolt lock on a psychiatric room that would allow a patient to lock themselves in a room and lock out any help they might need.
Good point. But it could be a hospital privacy (thumbturn on both sides) or a classroom deadbolt (thumbturn retracts bolt but won't project it). Does anyone here inspect psyche facilities? It's such a specialized facility and I'm realizing how little I know about the hardware they use. I either need to find an expert to grill for answers, or get myself committed in the name of research. ;)

Here is what the VA specifies for Mental Health units:

Code:
4.  Locks on designated doors in Psychiatric (Mental Health) areas shall be paddle type with arrow projection covers and be UL Listed. Provide these locks with paddle in the down position on both sides of the door. Locks shall be fabricated of wrought stainless steel.5.  Privacy locks in non-mental-health patient rooms shall have an inside thumbturn for privacy and an outside thumbturn for emergency entrance.  Single occupancy patient privacy doors shall typically swing out; where such doors cannot swing out, provide center-pivoted doors with rescue hardware

As Gene has pointed out, there is virtually no way this design could be considered an acceptable design for accessibility. It certainly is not useable without the ability for tight grasping, pinching, twisting, etc. As the matter of fact, I'm not at all usre it is that good a desing for a large portion of the population that would even be considered. disabled. It looks to be a design that would be quite hard to open by a lot of people, including children, and the elderly, particularly if used on a door to the outside on a windy day when it takes extra effort to open a door any way if the wind is creating a negative situation.

LGreene

There are different levels of psych units from total lock down in a room, to free roaming in the halls, but exit doors off the unit are controlled

would say most units want to monitor the clients, and some require one on one supervision.

My boss does not allow me to lock my door, and some reasom there is a themostat control facing my desk, but it does not control anything????????

Cda: Better pop the cover and see if they have place a camera in that unit! :D

Now that I read over this post again, I seem to remember an argument over this type of knob on a project I had several years back. The lock company claims it is an ada thumb latch and thus the DP argued that the lock set was in compliance. They were instructed to remove the before a CO was issued.

Pretty creepy if you ask me.

Remember Arlo Guthrie said Officer Obie took the toilet paper out of his cell to be sure Arlo wouln't hang himself with it.

I would agree on the accessibility issues (where required in a occupancy) however these components would be permitted in detention, correctional and certain health care occupancies for specific applications provided the other safety measures noted in the codes were met regarding “special” locking arrangements for occupancy specific facilities.

All of the padded cells I've been in don't have any exposed door hardware in them. :lol:

Thanks everyone. I know the knob is not accessible. What I'm looking into is whether a room that would typically have this type of hardware would need to meet accessibility requirements. Schlage's lever handle version is supposed to be available fairly soon, but it seems like a lever handle would pose a greater suicide risk, even if it is designed to be safer than a standard lever handle.

The paddle-type hardware that was described in one of the posts (called a hospital latch) is more convenient for health care occupancies, but it's possible to tie something around it even with both paddles facing down. The anti-ligature hardware is for very specific rooms/facilities where the risk of self-harm is very high.

I'm trying to identify an expert on hardware for mental health facilities, and hopefully I'll be able to get some answers.

- Lori