• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Anti-Ligature Knob

Re: Anti-Ligature Knob

As Gene has pointed out on the other website posting, there is virtually no way this design could be considered an acceptable design for accessibility. It certainly is not useable without the ability for tight grasping, pinching, twisting, etc. As the matter of fact, I'm not at all usre it is that good a desing for a large portion of the population that would even be considere. disabled. It looks to be a design that would be quite hard to open by a lot of people, including children, and the elderly, particularly on a windy day when it takes extra effort to open a door any way if the wind is creating a negative situation.

This design raises some interesting questions regarding rights of detainees.

Critics of current policies have mentioned our "prison-industrial complex", and the fact that the US has a greater prison population per capita or per something than any other nation.

Incarceration is big business, and I bet these doorknobs are not cheap.

Wow.. some maximum security prisons still have cells that need to be individually unlocked.. the twisting motions really shouldn't be a concern.

My heart goes out to them, and I wish them the best in case of an emergency.

Other than their cell doors, everything in a correctional facility should be a non lockable passage handle or no latch. If they can't manipulate that, well.. tough..

They are in a correctional facility for a reason.

Privacy is something they already forfeited.

Good point, peach. People residing under lock and key have the dubious privilege as well of having doors opened for them. :lol: