• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Antifreeze Solutions Within Residential Fire Sprinkler

Both are antifreeze systems tied to potable water, another angle I was thinking from. But yes it could be.

DRP said:
Both are antifreeze systems tied to potable water, another angle I was thinking from. But yes it could be.
Both oxygen and hydrogen sulfide are gas, another angle you were thinking from. but neither should be in a Thread entitled

Antifreeze Solutions Within Residential Fire Sprinkler

Post #1 was about antifreeze solutions in fire sprinkler systems. There was nothing from the author of that copy and paste post to direct discussion. Rather than redirect you have chosen to either twist or lash out at just about every poster and have added pretty much nothing to the discussion. If you have something to say that is worthwhile, after 3 pages... I'm still waiting.

Meanwhile, we were considering a 50% solution in the radiant system. What is the reason for the 40% limit?

DRP said:
.Meanwhile, we were considering a 50% solution in the radiant system. What is the reason for the 40% limit?
Combustible liquids in a spray or mist have been found to ignite at temperatures less than their flashpoint.

Your radiant system is irrelivant to the issue of using Combustible liquids, such as Antifreeze Within Residential Fire Sprinkler systems.

You are free to keep posting but you would be better off starting a new thread regarding how much Antifreeze should be used Within Residential floor heating systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought, from what I've read here, that a 13D system had to be connected to the domestic water supply to "flush the system through" since there is no maintenance? There was even talk of having a toilet at the end of the line so the homeowner could flush the toilet and cycle the water through the sprinker lines.

Fire sprinklers are addressed under "Protection of Potable Water" in the IRC. If there is an additive, it must be protected with a RPZ. If no additive, double check is ok.

Don't know nothing about having to flush a system through. There is maintenance involved, which is contained in 13D.

I don't think you are permitted to connect plumbing fixtures to the fire sprinkler piping.