1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Any apps that would help during inspections?

Discussion in 'Contractor Talk' started by mtlogcabin, Oct 23, 2018.

1. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

I was given an i-phone by my employer for work. Never had one before my flip phone was all I needed. Any suggestions for any apps that might help out when in the field? I found a lite meter but other than that not any luck.

2. cda

cda Sawhorse

You can pull up the icodes

And show the contractor where they are wrong.

There are dB meters

Measuring apps

Have to think what else

3. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

There are several apps for electrical. What I found helpful is a web site with lots of stuff that I can use... stuff that can be found with Google and our handouts. I used to have a link here but I took it out. It's a web site that I created.....Initially I built it mostly for a bunch of new inspectors that were hired.....The thing is, they never came to use it.....or even look at it......so I then had fun with it.....and still do now and then

Mine never worked well with a phone but with patience you can build one that will.

4. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

mtlog,

I've got a Simpson Strong-Tie app, a AWC connection, AWC SpanCalc, and a Beam Buddy app. I use them more in the office than in the field but use the internet connection to look up ICC codes, cuz the ICC app I've loaded doesn't work worth crap, go figure.

I use the flashlight feature a lot when looking at breaker panels and the camera to take a snap shot of a label like a solar panel on a roof. I take photos and download them to the office and file with the projects, they may come in handy in future court cases. Also I have a Fox News app for real news.

Any other apps that help?

cda likes this.
  5. Pcinspector1

Pcinspector1 Platinum Member

I also take snap shots from building plans and then I have them to verify the work is to plans approved, save NEC info like bonding and SE wire requirements. I've seen a drywall guy load his stud and fire wall plans on his phone which got me thinking I can use the phone like that also.

6. cda

cda Sawhorse

You can always use the voice memo for notes to self

Or video as body camera
    When contractor or inspector starts to rant and rave.

7. cda

cda Sawhorse

Altimeter app if you want to know how high or low you are

A great one is

CamCard

You can take a picture of a business card and it saves all the info off the card, on the app

8. cda

cda Sawhorse

I also like the hippie 97.5 KWUZFM

App. Great oldies music

9. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Any one know of a great electrical code app with box fill, conduit fill, voltage drop, wire size, ambient temp, etc. for 2014 NEC?

10. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

Jeff has Chris Kennedy’s phone number.