1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone know of any good zoning forums?

Discussion in 'Planning and Zoning' started by Eddie_23, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

Who is it usually? Just the fire marshal?

2. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

They won't be unannounced but they may have once a year inspections if the have a Fire Code.
    Also per the building code you may need sprinklers for woodworking and truck and boat storage.

Can't a realtor help you with this?

3. JCraver

JCraver Sawhorse

Eddie- Your zoning classifications seem similar to ours (Commercial General, Industrial Light, etc) so I imagine your municipality used the same example ordinance when they adopted their zoning standards as mine did. It's a crappy ordinance, so I can see why the muni, and you, are having trouble with it. It's really designed for large-ish urban areas, not smaller rural towns. We've been amending ours almost constantly since we adopted it, because we keep finding things in it that don't work for our little town. I guess that's neither here nor there, but please try to remember that your guy you're talking to with your city has a crap hand to deal with with the ordinance he's enforcing.

If you wanted to build your building here, here's a snippet of what our zoning would require: Storage buildings are only permitted in the IL (Industrial Light) or IH (Industrial Heavy) zones. Engineered drawings and site plan required. Concrete, asphalt, or other "dust-free" parking required, which will come with a min. of parking spaces required depending on the size of the building (and don't forget to add 1 space for every required ADA space, because they take 2 spaces). Sidewalks required if on an undeveloped site. Stormwater management required. Screening requirements for dumpsters/outside storage. Lighting requirements for your parking lot. Sustainability requirements, design and fa├žade requirements, etc, etc, etc. It's a decent sized ordeal to build a new building in town. And remember that if you rent out part of the building, it can only be rented to someone who's going to use their portion for a permitted use in the zone, so it'd have to be rented to someone who's also using it for storage, or for manufacturing, warehousing, transportation, or whatever else your town has permitted in that zone.

So that's a whole lot to say that boils down to, your city zoning isn't going to be cost-efficient for you to build a new building that you're not making money on. If I were you I'd either: A) buy an empty parcel in the county or somewhere outside of zoning restrictions or, B) buy a building that's already built that's close enough to what you want that you can make it work. Preferably, again, outside of a zoning jurisdiction.

4. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

All of our unincorporated non zoned areas are about a 45 minute drive from the house, but yes I think option B is probably the best bet. They want an outrageous amount of money for a steel warehouse around here. The cheapest around Is $400,000-$750,000 for 4000-5000 sqft but I guess after 10 or 15 years it will be worth much more.

5. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

The other option is sell the house and buy another house where I can build a steel building on residential land as an accessory structure, but I kind of like the industrial zoned building better cause I can lease it out for income later down the line.

6. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

Possibly but that's like listening to a car sales man tell you the car runs great and works perfect. Although I do believe a realtor has more liability if he sells you something that won't work for your needs.

7. VillageInspector

VillageInspector Sawhorse

I think you are thinking to generically on this. As someone else pointed out each municipality and in fact each zoning district within each municipality is different. If you are going to try to continue to navigate this on your own you will need to read and understand all the local definitions, what each zone encompasses and where each zone is located. Don't assume because an area allows warehouses that it automatically allows for your specific use(s). We have areas which have warehouses for manufacturing, or distribution, or self storage. Each of these uses are in separate districts You are best served by a land use attorney or consultant to get you where you want to be.

my250r11 likes this.
  8. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

I've ever in have a buddy thats going to build a shop in an unincorporated area and he says in these areas governed only by the county that you don't even need a building permit, you just make sure you aren't building too close to the easement and that's it. I find that hard to believe though.

9. jar546

jar546 *****istrator

When you get outside of incorporated areas the rules may be significantly reduced or eliminated unless you have a strong county government. Don't let the lack of needing a permit confused with actual requirements. Insurance rates are high in these areas due to a lack of good building code enforcement and you can run into trouble when a mortgage company wants a C of O or SBA wants proof of a permit. There is a tradeoff for lack of enforcement.

10. Eddie_23

Eddie_23 Registered User

I found a 2 acre empty lot that's flat and cleared of trees also outside of city limits. Just waiting on some up to date building estimates for a 4800 sq ft 18ft tall building with 3 or 4 bay doors in it. I got a quote about a year ago for $160,000 completed foundation and all. Apparantly all these buildings you see for sale online for $30k are just the building themselves. I'm tempted to put an offer in now for the lot, but would hate to find out they want like $300k. Hopefully someone doesn't put a bid in before me. I guess I could just consider it an investment and lease out a portion of it if the steel building idea doesn't workout.