• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

approved exterior siding material

darcar

Silver Member
Quick Q...

Would any of you allow verticle white pine T&G 3/4" x 4" to be applied to the interior of a screened porch? The screened areas aresizable and make up the majority of each wall.

The contractor plans on to applying a laquer finish to the pine. Is this approved? Can they paint?

To me the area would be considered exterior since there are no windows to keep rain, moisture, etc. from getting into the inside and causing a rot over time.

I'm having difficulty finding verbiage in the code stating material needs to be resistant to decay unless it's within 6" of the ground...

Maybe its OK to apply this material in this manner?

darcar said:
Quick Q...Would any of you allow verticle white pine T&G 3/4" x 4" to be applied to the interior of a screened porch? The screened areas aresizable and make up the majority of each wall.

The contractor plans on to applying a laquer finish to the pine. Is this approved? Can they paint?

To me the area would be considered exterior since there are no windows to keep rain, moisture, etc. from getting into the inside and causing a rot over time.

I'm having difficulty finding verbiage in the code stating material needs to be resistant to decay unless it's within 6" of the ground...

There is nothing that I'm aware of to not allow it. Do you allow pine claboard siding? primed pine trim?

I would consider it to be an exterior location since it would be unconditioned, uninsulated and open to weather elements. Protective coatings(paint, stain or whatever) should be rated for exterior use.

This question reminds me of another question this week on cedar roof shingles. Why are we suddenly questioning the use of traditional solid wood materials? Is there any reason not to use T&G Pine anywhere on the exterior? It's got to be better the T-111 siding which I can't stand, but is allowed by code.

darcar said:
Quick Q...Would any of you allow verticle white pine T&G 3/4" x 4" to be applied to the interior of a screened porch? The screened areas aresizable and make up the majority of each wall.

I'd allow T&G 3/4" x 4" as I would other wood siding. It will need to be painted, stained, or laquered to protect from the wood from the weather.

As to the verbiage about wood being resistant to decay, that only applies at foundation/grade level within the first 6" between the siding and the earth unless you are in CA and then it is 8" between siding and earth.

MarkRandall said:
This question reminds me of another question this week on cedar roof shingles. Why are we suddenly questioning the use of traditional solid wood materials? Is there any reason not to use T&G Pine anywhere on the exterior? It's got to be better the T-111 siding which I can't stand, but is allowed by code.
I can't stand T-111 siding either. My house has 2" x 8" T&G exterior siding that protrudes, then are cut and stacked similar to log cabin ends, but 2" x 4". I about went into an apopletic fit when a friend suggested I "cut off the ends and put vinyl siding on it". Ack, vinyl siding.........only thing I can't stand more than T-111!

Alias said:
I can't stand T-111 siding either. My house has 2" x 8" T&G exterior siding that protrudes, then are cut and stacked similar to log cabin ends, but 2" x 4". I about went into an apopletic fit when a friend suggested I "cut off the ends and put vinyl siding on it". Ack, vinyl siding.........only thing I can't stand more than T-111!
Around here the sun just melts vinyl siding particularly in an inside corner with an adjacent window or sliding glass door. It's totally unsuitable.

The pine 1X4 T&G is fine as siding no matter what the exposure. If it were mine, I'd paint it but if they wanted to leave it bare I don't believe there's any code that addresses it.

Bill

EXTERIOR WALL COVERING. A material or assembly of materials applied on the exterior side of exterior walls for the purpose of providing a weather-resisting barrier, insulation or for aesthetics, including but not limited to, veneers, siding, exterior insulation and finish systems, architectural trim and embellishments such as cornices, soffits, facias, gutters and leaders.

Fairly debateable wheather or not it is actually 'exterior siding', but let's say it is just to keep things simple...

1405.2 Weather protection. Exterior walls shall provide weather protection for the building. The materials of the minimum nominal thickness specified in Table 1405.2 shall be acceptable as approved weather coverings.

TABLE 1405.2 MINIMUM THICKNESS OF WEATHER COVERINGS

COVERING TYPE MINIMUM THICKNESS (inches)

Wood shingles 0.375

Wood siding (without sheathing)a 0.5

a. Wood siding of thicknesses less than 0.5 inch shall be placed over sheathing that conforms to :Next('./icod_ibc_2009_23_sec004_par008.htm')'>Section 2304.6.

Those are the applicable portions of the Building Code.

What you're looking for is a maintenanace concern... that's why it's in the Property Maintenance Code...

304.2 Protective treatment. All exterior surfaces, including but not limited to, doors, door and window frames, cornices, porches, trim, balconies, decks and fences, shall be maintained in good condition. Exterior wood surfaces, other than decay-resistant woods, shall be protected from the elements and decay by painting or other protective covering or treatment. Peeling, flaking and chipped paint shall be eliminated and surfaces repainted. All siding and masonry joints, as well as those between the building envelope and the perimeter of windows, doors and skylights, shall be maintained weather resistant and water tight. All metal surfaces subject to rust or corrosion shall be coated to inhibit such rust and corrosion, and all surfaces with rust or corrosion shall be stabilized and coated to inhibit future rust and corrosion. Oxidation stains shall be removed from exterior surfaces. Surfaces designed for stabilization by oxidation are exempt from this requirement.

Last edited by a moderator: