• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

approved joist hangers

jtom

Sawhorse
We have always enforced 1 1/2 " bearing on wood or an approved joist hanger for ceiling and floor joists.Does anyone allow a side mounted,teco, hanger to be used.They do not seem to meet code for bearing.

I'm not sure what you mean by a side mounted hanger. I've attached an image of what I refer to as one but this type is often used for both floors and ceilings so I'm thinking you must be referring to some other type of hanger.

View attachment 991

View attachment 991

/monthly_2014_01/U210.jpg.ecfa8bb0578037d446acb1950978af9b.jpg

I think we all have been assuming just the angle clips.....Be careful on ceiling flush beams that the hangars you are using are capable of resisting the proper thrust (lateral) or other provisions are made.....Alot of them we see are not....

These side mounted clips are occasionally used in engineered designs but should not be used in prescriptive designs.