• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Are all single hole toilet rooms required to be accessible

Meadowbend99

I'm doing a gym and they don't have the width to put in a gang style restroom so we're doing individual restrooms. They are required to put in 2 restrooms and I have both of those as private restrooms and they are both accessible. The owner wants a 3rd restroom for convenience but there isn't enough room to make it accessible. I typically make all my single hole restrooms accessible, but in this case can it be non-compliant? Could they put a 24" door to the restroom like in a gang style bathroom? Are there still clearance requirements to follow?

Also, they're a small gym but have the space divided into two sections. One section is for pole dancing and the other side is aerial acrobatics and neither side has access to the other side. They are only required to have one drinking fountain. Could they split it in two? Put the high fountain on the pole side and low fountain on the other side? I don't see anywhere that says they have to be together. That way each side has access to a drinking fountain. There is no spectator seating on the pole side.

Thanks!

I think the key statement is that neither side has access to the other side. Sounds like they need to be treated like 2 separate businesses.

Either a common core bathroom group, or the required accessible bathroom(s) on each side and if required a HC bubbler on each side

Architectural Barriers Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS)

213.2 Toilet Rooms and Bathing Rooms.
EXCEPTIONS:
3. Where multiple single user portable toilet or bathing units are clustered at a single location, no more than 5 percent of the toilet units and bathing units at each cluster shall be required to comply with 603. Portable toilet units and bathing units complying with 603 shall be identified by the International Symbol of Accessibility complying with 703.7.2.1

if the space is seperated in two, with out access to either side then the plaumbing counts for both sides will need to calculated independently. You may very well need two toilets and a HiLo drinking fountain on both sides.

Architectural Barriers Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS)

213.2 Toilet Rooms and Bathing Rooms.
EXCEPTIONS:
3. Where multiple single user portable toilet or bathing units are clustered at a single location, no more than 5 percent of the toilet units and bathing units at each cluster shall be required to comply with 603. Portable toilet units and bathing units complying with 603 shall be identified by the International Symbol of Accessibility complying with 703.7.2.1
Mark, the code section you referenced is referring to portable toilets, but the OP did not mention portable.
If they are permanent restrooms, then the applicable portion of 213.2 would be exception #4:
4. Where multiple single user toilet rooms are clustered at a single location, no more than 50 percent of the single user toilet rooms for each use at each cluster shall be required to comply with 603.​

Note that 2 out of 3 accessible single accommodation restrooms = 66%, therefore OK.

Mark, the code section you referenced is referring to portable toilets, but the OP did not mention portable.
If they are permanent restrooms, then the applicable portion of 213.2 would be exception #4:
4. Where multiple single user toilet rooms are clustered at a single location, no more than 50 percent of the single user toilet rooms for each use at each cluster shall be required to comply with 603.​

Note that 2 out of 3 accessible single accommodation restrooms = 66%, therefore OK.
I highlighted the wrong section.

California does have an out for small occupancies. CPC 415.2 (Last sentence) Drinking fountains shall not be required for an occupant load of 30 or less.